warmer glass than I want

I have been successful double wicking 16oz apoth jars using 44-28-18 in J50 wax and getting a full melt pool. My only concern is that I think the neck of the jar is too warm to the touch for the first 3 hours of burn. After that I don't seem to have the same problem still warm but not uncomfortable. I also tried 2 CD10's and am having the same problem. I tried going down to 2CD8's but did not get a good melt pool. Any suggestions???? Maybe I should just give up on the apoth jars.

Having to try and try again to get it just the way you want it isn't cause for giving up. That's just the way it often goes.

It sounds like you have something pretty close except for a little too much heat on the neck of the jar. You could put the wicks just an inch apart if they aren't already and you could consider changing the fill level of the jar.

Also, you've only tried one zinc. 44-24-18 and 44-20-18 are just a little bit smaller than what you used. Maybe those would still get you a full melt pool without heating the glass as much.

Good luck.