Newbie here- I want to make a test candle and I have a few questions...

Hi, I just got my shipped order for an EZ Soy kit from BCN. At this point it is a hobby, I work full time and part time, but I have alot of free time at work to read and learn! And I am off of work for 4 days, and hoping to make a test candle in this time, but, there is no hurry, as these are for my home...

I have been reading alot here and at BCN and Candle Caudron websites, bookmarked ALOT of info, and before I begin my first test candle, I wanted to see if I should be concerned with the following:

Do I need a scale? I have 10 lbs of EZ soy flakes. I am estimating I need about 1.5 cups at the most to make an 8 oz candle in a jelly jar.

1. The instructions are not real clear on how much of the EZ soy wax flakes to melt for an 8 oz jelly jar. BTW, I do not own a scale- is there a way to use a pirex to measure? Is a scale really necessary?

2. Wicks that came in the kit are Eco 8 Pre-tabbed 6" Veggie Wicks, which will be poured in 8 oz jelly jars. I have heard 2 different ways to wick EZ soy: the correct sounding way to me is to glue it into the bottom of the jelly jars and hold straight with a clothespin...again no instructions were given.

The other way was to add the wick after the slushy pour; sounds incorrect but correct me if I am wrong!!

I assume these wicks are the correct size since I ordered a starter kit...???

any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

3. Should I hold off and buy some beeswax or another additive to compliment the finished candle.

I have been doing some reading and I understand that adding certain amounts of Beeswax or other additives can help offset some of the EZ Soy's problems...

Thanks in advance. I want to be proficient before I start, just trying to nail down some of these unknowns.