my first coffee bean hurricane

Angie B

Guest amynleebishop
Hi Angie

How do you get the coffee beans in the side of your candle like that!?

This is an email that she sent me when I asked her........

I used a hurricane mold..added coffee beans to the outside rim & added my wax...some coffee beans floated to the top & thats how I got coffee beans on top...not meaning to, but it turned out great! I did a square one & it did the same...I wanted to do pillars like that, but cant get all beans to float so it wouldnt work...you might want to let your wax cool just a little bit before pouring, the hot wax melts some of the coating off the bean & therefore turns your over overpour a creamy color, unless you want that..lol

I went to this website and if you click on the shopping cart, it does say Please have patience, this page under construction. I dont know if this has been there or was just placed there and Granted she is asking folks to call or send money to have their candles made. With a 4 day turn around....., that is barely enough time for the candles to cure and be shipped but maybe she knows something we dont.

I have to say that I love this site because even after doing this for 10 yrs, I have still found helpful hints and suggestions that I have been able to incorporate into my work BUT this site is a deterant to some because the as you call them "newbie's" come to this site for assistance and knowledge from the seasoned pro's and they are excited about their accomplishments and instead of getting constructive criticism, they are getting seriously put in their place. Some people are being brutally honest.

I know there are ALOT of safety issues with this b/cuz she has only been doing this for 3 months and she already has a website.....God after 3 months I was still testing and testing and testing.....see a pattern here? The thinking that she has it mastered is a figure of speech and an insult to those of us who actually know what we are doing. Angie, I am not knocking you girl, but I seriously hope that you have really good liability insurance. Cant we all just get along?? :D

I completely get what everyones saying..HONESTLY! I have done ALOT of thinking on this & have been speaking with my mother n law (which is the one that has the know how on codeing websites) I dont make changes, she does..I wouldnt know how if i tried..& yes the under construction has been up for about a month now. I am taking alot of my stuff off my site..Alot of things some ppl have brought to my attention scared me & made me open my eyes. I'm going to do some changes with the Gels maybe try forever candles see how they work.

Thanks to a few ppl in here...yes I have come to realize that i do have alot more to learn.

Amynlee....Thanks for sharing the 4 day turn around... hearing that made alot of sence.

The part where I said I almost mastered..i guess I have worded that wrong. I didnt mean I mastered candle making..TO ME...being a "newbie" I thought I was doing good & having a few turn out, was amazing to me, so yes I felt like i had mastered it, in my head...but i now know that having mastered candle making well it is a insult to you pro's & I am sorry..truely sorry..I didnt mean for that to sound that way. Make sence?

I hope this makes everyone happy here. I dont know what else to say. I have explained myself over & over & some just keep cutting me open. I came here to learn & ended up getting hurt. Now I know I shouldnt have started the site just after 3 months of testing, but maybe saying it alittle differently..maybe I would have taking it a lot better.

Once again, I'm sorry to you pro's if i insulted you in any way...you have opened my eyes. Thanks!

Angie B

P.S. MICHI, you can throw your 2 cents in, I know you will QUOTE me away..lol i'm sorry.

P.S. MICHI, you can throw your 2 cents in, I know you will QUOTE me away..lol i'm sorry.

LOL Couldn't resist!!

Seriously, I have not been TRYING to bash you-you hit some buttons with me,yes, and I felt you were being untruthful about a lot of your testing etc.

There's just soooooooo much more to this, than just melting some wax, sticking some FO in, plopping a wick in, and selling it, and I hope you NOW realize that. That's ALL I was trying to say at FIRST.

I have only been honest, yes a bit BRUTALLY honest, helpful and trying to open your eyes to this whole candlemaking experience, but you got defensive right away, and told some untruths a few times about testing. Your lack of knowledge on basic things, that is what really got me fired me up!!

Considering you have a website up already that ANYONE could come acrossed and TRY and order from (via your email). After all you have a scent list, product(s) listing, complete with pricing etc. the only thing missing is a shopping cart.

Obviously I must have "missed" seeing the "under construction" when I first went to your site the other day, which means others may do so as well.

And to be honest, I still feel that you are/were trying to sell these creations.

Again Just My Opinion.

It "seems" even though you may not have "listened" to what I've stated, that you HAVE "listened" to some of the same from others, I can only hope--

--HOPE that you have taken my harsh critisim and advice and that of all the others that have offered it to you (many people from different posts) into consideration. Like I said, I'm NOT the candle police, no one can MAKE you stop look and listen and learn, but I hope you will, for YOUR sake, your family's sake, for all other Candlemakers sakes, and for your potential customers sakes.

All you new people need to step back and take a deep breath. Perfect the candles and other products. Give out a ton to friends, neighbors, co-workers, asking for honest feedback in return. Believe me, what you think is good now, you will look back in a few years and realize it was crap.

The selling and website need to come much later. No cart before the horse, LOL. Think about Christmas presents, not earning money for the holidays. That day shall come, if you are thorough. It's very easy to get caught up in all of this, so you need to put the brakes on.

Pick a product, make it perfect, move on to the next. I am slower than most, but I started all this in the spring of 2002 and became a licensed business in Spring 2005 and it's still a side gig for me.

My large, extended family is used to getting baskets of my stuff and they look forward to it! Not sure how much I'll be able to squeeze in for them this year; hope they are not too ticked off.

Best of luck to all you beginners. Exciting craft; very easy to get steamrolled!

e

LOL Couldn't resist!!

Seriously, I have not been TRYING to bash you-you hit some buttons with me,yes, and I felt you were being untruthful about a lot of your testing etc.

There's just soooooooo much more to this, than just melting some wax, sticking some FO in, plopping a wick in, and selling it, and I hope you NOW realize that. That's ALL I was trying to say at FIRST.

I have only been honest, yes a bit BRUTALLY honest, helpful and trying to open your eyes to this whole candlemaking experience, but you got defensive right away, and told some untruths a few times about testing. Your lack of knowledge on basic things, that is what really got me fired me up!!

Considering you have a website up already that ANYONE could come acrossed and TRY and order from (via your email). After all you have a scent list, product(s) listing, complete with pricing etc. the only thing missing is a shopping cart.

Obviously I must have "missed" seeing the "under construction" when I first went to your site the other day, which means others may do so as well.

And to be honest, I still feel that you are/were trying to sell these creations.

Again Just My Opinion.

It "seems" even though you may not have "listened" to what I've stated, that you HAVE "listened" to some of the same from others, I can only hope--

--HOPE that you have taken my harsh critisim and advice and that of all the others that have offered it to you (many people from different posts) into consideration. Like I said, I'm NOT the candle police, no one can MAKE you stop look and listen and learn, but I hope you will, for YOUR sake, your family's sake, for all other Candlemakers sakes, and for your potential customers sakes.

Thank you MICHI...thuths?

I did jump the gun, but I felt like I was being bashed by the pros. Once again I'm sorry. You do seem like you know what your doing & I'd love help from you, if your willing to give it. Help me become the pro like you guys. I know it takes alot of practicing..I know cause one of my marbles didnt quite turn out the way I would have liked it to last night..lol I have made some that I was proud of & some I could have sat on the kitchen floor & cried over..lol :cry2:

Once again I have listened to you & taken alot into consideration. You've opened my eyes.

Angie B

Copy and paste the testing pages that are on another thread. Have several of your friends and family test the same candle with sme wick same wax. You also need to test the same candle. Get the results of say 10 ppl. All documented. Make sure these are people that will judge your candle honestly not just because you're their friend. From those results re-test. Then re-test. After all the results then you can say you have mastered that candle in that wax in that scent.

"Copy and paste the testing pages that are on another thread"

Great idea..but i'm alittle confused..can you clarify? Please?

'Business Side of Things - thread- Questionaire for Tester'

Hope this helps. I am sorry I opened a can of worms. You do make a ver pretty candle. Now by testing and testing, you will learn to also make a very safe candle that smells, burns and looks good. I think I read that you are a military wife. All of those other military wives can become your testers. Everyone likes to get something for free and it will be fun for them too. Especially if they want to see you succeed.

No, I leanered from all this & in a way hoped it didnt happen, but hey, you live & learn..

Yes I am a military wife & have been sharing with the others. They like my hurricanes...Plus everyone knows qwhat they are getting for christmas..I love the gift basket idea someone mentioned..A great way to be creative.

All you new people need to step back and take a deep breath. Perfect the candles and other products. Give out a ton to friends, neighbors, co-workers, asking for honest feedback in return. Believe me, what you think is good now, you will look back in a few years and realize it was crap.

The selling and website need to come much later. No cart before the horse, LOL. Think about Christmas presents, not earning money for the holidays. That day shall come, if you are thorough. It's very easy to get caught up in all of this, so you need to put the brakes on.

Pick a product, make it perfect, move on to the next. I am slower than most, but I started all this in the spring of 2002 and became a licensed business in Spring 2005 and it's still a side gig for me.

My large, extended family is used to getting baskets of my stuff and they look forward to it! Not sure how much I'll be able to squeeze in for them this year; hope they are not too ticked off.

Best of luck to all you beginners. Exciting craft; very easy to get steamrolled!

e

Very well said.......... This should be posted in the OT area to Newbies :D