i am going to make a 6x6 pillar. Since it is 6 inches and 3 wicks do i just do 3 LX 18 (3" - 3.25") or should i be using something bigger. I wanted to burn the acutal candle and not do the tea lights thing. I will be using IGI 4625. Does anyone have any warnings or suggestions before i take the plunge!!

(I heard of mixing the fo and color in the presto pot instead of 2 pouring pots. i think i will try that. )

Also do you poke relief holes like anyother pillars?

I am so excited i can't wait to get my mold from lonestar. :yay:

Thank you i will try that. I am just not very good at poking the relief holes. At least i do think they look very good. Maybe i should keep practicing with smaller pillars first! LOL

Thanks.

Relief holes has nothing to do with looks. You poke these holes around the wick or wick pin or in a large candle around the wick pin and the center of the candle. This is to open up the air pocket the sink hole causes then you do a second pour to fill the sink hole and finish the candle.

• 2 weeks later...

when i said looks i meant what poking relief holes looked like. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the actual look of the candle. my relief holes just don't look like the picture in the instructions part. My pillars still sunk a lot even with the relief holes.

I just don't know if i am doing the relief holes right? That is what i meant.

Thanks

Amanda

If you are still getting a lot of sinking after you poke the holes, you may be poking too soon. I poke mine when the candle is fairly solid but yet still pliable and maybe even a little liquid down toward the center of the relief hole. I wait then to do the repour for a little while after that. :)

Really? :confused:

I have been poking as soon as the top sets and i just keep poking because it is still liquid underneath and i read that you need to keep the holes open. And that is not working like i said it still sinks deep with the holes. So i will try not to poke until it is pliable.

Thanks for the info!:D

(I have heard of people waiting until it cools completly to do the second pour. Is that right too?)

• 1 month later...
If you are still getting a lot of sinking after you poke the holes, you may be poking too soon. I poke mine when the candle is fairly solid but yet still pliable and maybe even a little liquid down toward the center of the relief hole. I wait then to do the repour for a little while after that. :)

I just wanted to let you know that i took your advise and have been poking when it was pliable and it is working great!

Thanks jcandleattic!