gel chunks

CandlesNMore

Hi All. I’m going to apologize in advance for the long post but I have a few questions. I’ve been making candles for about 2 years now. I’m using J223 in 8 oz. jj with 1 oz of fo per lb of wax. For color I use liquid and reddig-glo. I have all these supplies on hand. I saw some pictures of gel chunk/soy candles and wanted to try it. I’ve never tried to make gel candles before so this is new to me. I did my research and read all the information on the board I could find before trying them. I tried some this past weekend but instead of soy I used J223. I got some hobby lobby gel (love that 40% off) and added ½ oz. fo per lb. I used liquid dye in the gel. I scented both Plumeria and I checked it to make sure that it was non-polarity. The J223 was uncolored with ½ oz. for 8 oz. of wax. Candles turned out great but I have a few questions.

1. Normally I would heat my jars but because of the gel chunks I was scared to heat them. I got all kinds of jump lines. How do you avoid jump lines when making this type of candle?

2. I love the way the liquid dye colored the gel but have a limited number of colors. Can Reddig-Glo dye chips be used in gel wax?

3. There is a difference in the melt point of these two candles. How will that effect the candle?

4. How will the differences in the amount of fo used effect this candle? (Not sure if I’m wording this right. Hope you know what I’m talking about.)

5. When wicking this candle will the wicks I use for J223 work fine? I use 51z in 8 oz. jj. I’ve testing the candles this week and got a full melt point within 3 hours with this wick. While reading the board about gel candles I read several post about the importance of leaving a layer of insulation around the container. Do I need to leave a layer of insulation around the container? Also what about the bottom of the candle. Do I need to crimp the wick so that it leaves an insulation layer on the bottom of the container too?

6. Is there anything else that I need to be looking for when making or burning these candles?

If I continue to make this type of candle I will get some MP gel but since I never made gel candles and just playing around I figured the hobby lobby gel would do for this purpose.

Thanks for reading this post and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Silvana

Hi congrats on trying something new! Can't help you with the wicking as we don't use that type however I will try a few of the other ?s;

1. Normally I would heat my jars but because of the gel chunks I was scared to heat them. I got all kinds of jump lines. How do you avoid jump lines when making this type of candle?

Not sure how you put yours together but we place a few chunks of gel up against the side of the glassware prior to pouring then add a few on top. We do not heat the glassware and pour the overpour at a medium temp, not your type of wax though, jump lines are not a problem for us. Perhaps try and pour a little hotter and see if your gel holds up to the heat.

love the way the liquid dye colored the gel but have a limited number of colors. Can Reddig-Glo dye chips be used in gel wax?

Absolutely but as with liquids use very little! If your finding your colouring to strong or want to mix some liquids to make new colours, melt a couple of oz. of gel and add your liquids, fairly strong. Pour into a pan or ice cube trays, (easier to measure down the road.) and add cubes of the strong coloured gel to your clear gel when your making your candles, start with one cube per lb. and add if needed.

There is a difference in the melt point of these two candles. How will that effect the candle?

As with any new candle only testing will tell you, start by wicking as if the container was straight paraffin and go up from there if you need to. Depends upon how much gel you have added to the mix.

How will the differences in the amount of fo used effect this candle? (Not sure if I’m wording this right. Hope you know what I’m talking about.)

In my opinion you should not be using different amounts, just as the fragrance you are using should be non polar for the whole candle, if using both paraffin and gel, the amounts should be based on the rate for gel. These do mix as they are burning!

Is there anything else that I need to be looking for when making or burning these candles?

No , just test as you would any other candle, melt pool, smoking, throw etc.

Have fun!

Wendy