Double Wicked Jar Dying a Death

Hi Guys...

Thanks to the advice on here and privately I've been muddling away with double wicking my new 4" diameter containers...

I've found that if I use 2 x LX14s they burn beautifully and achieve an *almost* full melt pool within approximately two and three quarter hours - then they suddenly start drowning away quietly and the small unmelted area grows... Talk about the tide turning! lol

Anyway - I'd tried the LX12s initially and had the same problem except the drowning happened faster... Given that with the LX14s the container was pretty darn warm whilst the wax was still at the melting stage, and I did have to trim the wicks slightly more than I thought when they puffed the odd bit of smoke; and the almost FMP was achieved in less than three hours - I'm figuring that going up a size to the LX16 might not necessarily be the correct answer... I'd presume that would obviously heat the glass more and burn out the MP even faster...

With the 14s I've got a great scent throw and a nice deep pool - its just the way they suddenly go from ramrod straight flames with a decent shape and height to the tiniest flames on the planet with a solidifying melt pool...

Having the same problem irrespective of whether it's the test jar that's been poured full or one of the ones with differing levels of less wax in them... So I'm not putting it down to there being less air deeper inside the containers...

On the other hand, being completely inexperienced in double wicking containers I know I could be missing something completely obvious or just plain expecting a double wick to act the same way as a single wick... But after burning great for three hours each time they really do become quite pathetic...

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments...

Cheers

The smaller sizes of LX don't seem to be happy in your wax/FO mixture. You could take the advice about zinc. Personally I don't do zinc, so another alternative is get a sample pack of braided wick that's more robust in the smaller sizes and has enough sizes to choose from. I'm thinking HTP or CD could work well. Maybe 2 x HTP-52 or CD 3 or CD 4.

Good luck.