Hole near wick any ideas???

Good Morning.

I am finding with a batch of candles a few are drying and a strange hole is appearing near the wick. It happens to some but not all. Any ideas what the wick is going on????

I have tried drying them in different areas. ie: away from any cool draft source etc.

This wax is not to be formed in a water bath but to let dry slow.

I am using a zinc wick 44-24-18 Zinc 6" and wax from Lonestar IncIGI 6006 (formerly BP 5766).

Thanks for any info.

New Wick

Not sure if you are making pillars or container candles. However if you go to the Basic Instructions on the left sidebar of this page you will find directions for both types of candles. It talks about poking relief holes for pillars and the dip in the wax around the wick in containers and what to do. HTH :cheesy2:

When wax cools it shrinks creating that "dip" in the candle top. Poking relief holes keeps the candle from forming air pockets inside. I usually poke 4 holes around the wick when the wax starts to set. I don't use the wax you are using so I'm not familiar with it, but most waxes you'll have to do a second pour after it cools( called a repour). Check out the post at the top of this forum called Helpful Links for Newbies. It has a lot of useful info :) Welcome to the addiction of candlemaking :) Also here is a link with basic candlemaking instructions:

http://www.candletech.com/basicinstructions.htm

ETA forgot the link lol...not awake yet this morning :)