Hi And Help

I'm new at all this candle making stuff. My DH came home one day and handed me a business card and said "Here I bought you a Candle Company" Thank Dear!!!! Well from the first pour I was hooked.

My Question would be; I keep reading about "frosting" but have never seen any pictures. (I pour container candles in soy). Is this where the wax pulls away from the jars, and looks like air pockets? I have some candle that do this but not all. How do I get them to not do it? Or should I worry about it at all. My customers don't seem to mind. But DH has a fit saying that they don't look prof. I keep sayin that it's the charm of having a hand poured candle. Am I wrong in my thinking? A little help for a Newbie would be great!!!!!

Frosting is the result of two different factors. The first is simple. Glass container candles can experience what looks like frosting but is really the candle pulling away from the container and leaving wax residue on the glass. This is an issue of glass adhesion not frosting. The second condition is frosting, also known as "bloom" in the world of fats. You may be familiar with this condition in chocolate. Bloom is the white that appears on chocolate, even fine chocolates will experience this.

When a liquid turns into a solid it forms crystals. Frosting is the formation of a different type of crystal than that of the body of the candle. The frosting and the body are the exact same material with a different crystal structure. For example, when water freezes you may see clear ice with white looking frosting on it. While they appear different, both are made of water.

HTH...resourced from NGI website!

Thanks for the info. Now I know I don't have a probles with frosting.:D So do any of you have the wax pulling away from the container? If so how do you fix it?

Those are called wet spots. The solution is to pour cooler. No matter how many people tell you to warm your jars before pouring, don't waste your time.

Yes, saying to pour cooler, means to pour your wax at a cooler temp. Here is a link to 3 pages of frequently asked questions that have a lot of helpful info.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You can also use the search feature at the top of the forum page and search *wetspots* or *frosting* and find more threads that deal with these subjects. :wink2: Have fun.