grainy melt pool

Hi. This is probably a stupid question but..

I poured my first soy candles into 10 oz libby apothocary jars with an htp 104 wick. Well I know I am supposed to cure but i wanted to check what kind of melt pool id get. Well Im not getting a full melt pool within 2 1/2 hours ( I may have trimmed the wick too short) So I poured a bit of wax out and the wax is grainy and thin. Is this becouse of not letting it cure? I used .5 ounce fo to 8 ounce wax. What did I do wrong??

I'm not sure what the diameter is on that jar but I'm thinking your wick is too small. And should probably let it burn longer. Curing would not affect the grainy texture of the wax. I'm not sure about your description exactly either, but it sounds like soy to me!

I like LX 20's or 22's with these jars...but that's just me.

As far as the grainy quality of your melted wax, it really could be the wax you're using...soy is a funky thing, to be honest. I could probably live with it, personally, but you have to decide if this is a quality of your wax you can live with. Or, it could be that your jars had dust particles in them before pouring, or perhaps dust was in your wax.

Glad the HTP 105's are working out!

If it is a standard 10 oz apothecary, like what TVG sells, then it is 4" diameter. It will need to be double wicked to get the best throw and melt pool. Depending on the melt point of your soy, and the fragrance you are using, you could start with two 51 cotton or two HTP 104. You might have to go up if the oil is a heavy one.

i will try the double wicking. Does that mean that the soy candles in the same jar I have seen in stores craft fairs etc wont get a full melt pool with a single wick? Or will the wick that will produce a full melt pool heat the jar too much? I know lots of sill quastions but i appreciate all your help:D

i will try the double wicking. Does that mean that the soy candles in the same jar I have seen in stores craft fairs etc wont get a full melt pool with a single wick? Or will the wick that will produce a full melt pool heat the jar too much? I know lots of sill quastions but i appreciate all your help:D

IMO, it really all depends on alot of factors....#1- do they care?????

do they test, what "kind" of wax are they using....etc

welcome to the "joy of soy".....happy testing

HTH

I personally have never gotten a full MP in apothecary jars, using soy wax with a melt point of 125*, unless I double wicked it. I have never even bought a commercial apothecary jar candle, that had only one wick, that ever got a full melt pool.

Just play around with it, and you'll get to the point you love your candles. It will all come together for you.