Is there such a thing as a simple CP or HP recipe?

hem06

Hi all,

I am really searching for a simple HP/CP soap recipe. I have not tried this yet, but am slowly gathering the ingredients. Something for beginners. (In fact, what I need is a book that explains all about soapmaking and the science of it. I have checked all major book stores, the library...where do you people learn all this?!?! There are no books to be found on this, that are still available to purchase!!)

I have palm oil, lye, and...some other stuff :o

I really want to try this. On the old board, I looked at all 300 pages of gallery pics, and I have been bitten!

After this "simple" recipe--I would love to find one for Honey(actual honey!) Oatmeal (actual oatmeal), and beeswax. I I have not really figured out the science well enough to know when those ingredients would go in :o

A friend of mine gave me a recipe...it has 15 ingredients!!!! Seems to complex to me!

I would appreciate any links or help. I was just starting to research and find out hings on the old board, before it went kaput. Terrible, terrible, day!

I was also planning on making CP for the first time when CT crashed. I was given this link ( http://millersoap.com/soapallveg.html#VegInstr ) as a place to start. There is soooooo much info on this site. There was a simple easy beginners recipe on CT befor it crashed, unfortnately, I thought it would be there forever, and I did not write it down. BooHoo.

Robin

here's an easy one.. the one I just used - I got it off the board before the crash....

Heres a basic recipe. You can buy all this stuff at the super market or drug store.

10oz of olive oil

7oz of coconut oil

1 tbl castor oil

6 oz distilled water

2.6 oz lye

1/2 tsp tumeric for yellow color Don't really need to add this if you don't want too.

Read Robins tutorial if this is your first time soaping.

Mix your water and your tumeric. Set aside.

measure out your lye.

Pour lye into water. NEVER POUR WATER INTO LYE!!!

Set aside and let cool to 100 degrees.

Melt your oils together and let cool to 100

Pour lye into oils

Add castor oil at light trace

Stir with stick blender util full trace. Took me about 5 mins

Pour into prepared mold. insulate mold and let it sit for 24 hours. then cut into bars .

cant remember where i got this but it seems simple enough:

olive oil(35%) 11.2 oz

palm oil(35%)11.2 oz

canola(20%) 6.4 oz.

coconut oil (10%) 3.2 oz

lye 4.3 oz

distilled water 12 oz

1.5-2 oz soapsafe FO or 1-1.5 oz EO

I havent used this one yet but Im gonna cuz it seems the easiest

My next question-

When I see a recipe like the ones above, are they any ingredients that I can substitute?

For instance, in this recipe:

olive oil(35%) 11.2 oz

palm oil(35%)11.2 oz

canola(20%) 6.4 oz.

coconut oil (10%) 3.2 oz

lye 4.3 oz

distilled water 12 oz

1.5-2 oz soapsafe FO or 1-1.5 oz EO

I have Olive, palm and canola oils, but not coconut. (dh says he is allergic)

Could I sub something else?

I also have some grapeseed oil in the house here.

You can sub just about any oil you want, its up to you. I use a lot of olive oil and soybean oil (Crisco). You can also use almond oil, avocado oil, mac nut oil etc and all of those can usually be found a upscale grocery stores or health food stores. I buy the huge jugs of olive oil from Costco.

You can sub just about any oil you want, its up to you. I use a lot of olive oil and soybean oil (Crisco). You can also use almond oil, avocado oil, mac nut oil etc and all of those can usually be found a upscale grocery stores or health food stores. I buy the huge jugs of olive oil from Costco.

In that particular recipe, if I used grapeseed oil, would it fight with the palm for firmness?

My next question-

I have Olive, palm and canola oils, but not coconut. (dh says he is allergic)

Could I sub something else?

I also have some grapeseed oil in the house here.

You can sub Palm Kernal Oil (also sold in flakes) for coconut. NOTE-this is completely different from Palm Oil! If you're looking for a very simple recipe, try a castille.

90% Olive Oil

10% Castor Oil

It will take a while to cure, but ends up rock hard and it's very gentle.

e

Whatever you change, you need to run the new recipe through a lye calculator. The lye amounts will change based on the oils used. In general, you want 40-50% hard oils in your recipe. Castille is an exception. A hard oil is defined as an oil that is solid or semi solid at room temperature. They also contribute to the hardness of the finished soap.

e

lye calculator soap calc

MMS (the-sage) Lye Calculator