Joy Wax Help

Friends, I have batched this wax with several fragrances from different suppliers, used every zinc size, 6% - 9% FO, dyes, no dyes.....no matter what I do I cannot stop the fuel smell.

Some wicks and scents throw well with the wick used, but there is a strong fuel smell mixed in with it. It's bizarre.

I finally got the smell out of the tarts and teas by eliminating the dyes, and I thought that would be the cure, but after testing the jar today with several wicks, it is not working.

I am trying to wick a bail wire jar, with a 2.5" opening, about 4.5" tall.

I have zincs, LXs, and some CDs, and I think an HTP or two. I will keep trying them in hope of getting to the bottom of the problem...in the meantime....

What do I do? Any suggestions? What am I doing wrongly? I am following NGs directions to the letter.

Thanks for any help or input, it's all appreciated.

Fern-Marie

I use Joy as well and have never had a problem with a fuel smell, unless I was trying to make a dark candle with liquid dye. I've switched to only wax dyes when doing dark colors and am pretty happy with the results. It could also be the quality of your FO, I've tested some that were just ugh! I also found that I like LX's better since the jar I use (bulb) did not burn properly with even the biggest zinc. Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Wow, how frustrating. I'm not nearly as experienced as most on here, but I can say that I've used Joywax and I did not have a problem with a fuel smell. Well once, but that was the fo. Overall, it was really great to work with and I got a great HT with it. I used 6% fo with htp and zinc wicks and both worked well for me. There's always something though, isn't there? Hopefully someone can give you some suggestions. :undecided

Hi,

FOs are from Candle Science, Nature's Garden, and Just Scent.

Cinnamon, Hot Apple Pie, Cin. Nugmeg Clove, Banana Nut Bread, Carmalized Pralines, Pumpkin Crunch Cake...well that's what I can remember anyway.

None of the zincs produce without a fuel scent.

Unfortunately, not having any luck with the LXs either.

I thought that leaving out dyes altogether would solve the problem...nada.

Just as bad without dyes.

This is turning into a nightmare.

Could there be something going on with the wax? Are you working with a new batch?

Hillary, I have no idea. I do know that the kit that I tried first worked like a charm. It is the case that I bought, my first, that has me running circles.

I'm going back to the beginning. The kit had hemp wicks, so, I'll start there.

Thank you,

Fern-Marie

Hi,

Cinnamon, Hot Apple Pie, Cin. Nugmeg Clove, Banana Nut Bread, Carmalized Pralines, Pumpkin Crunch Cake...well that's what I can remember anyway.

I had to give up all together on zinc in Joywax. It gave me not a fuel smell, but a burnt smell. When I smelled a used candle with the zinc wick, it was such an awful smell. I could not smell any scent at all! It was so frustrating! And I didn't like how zincs burned. I use LXs and am so happy with them!

Hi,

On another note, I had a friend testing candles with me that had the zinc wicks in NG's pure soy. I thought the burnt smell was worse in soy... but my friend said that she only smelled the scent! I wonder if it could be our noses that smell the fuel/burnt smell from being around all the FOs! ??? :)