Log Candle

Country Crafter

Morning all, I thought since I put this pic in another forum hear in regards to a question I would add it here. This is an old silicone mold we did up four or five yrs. ago for a custom order. It is a very large candle measuring about 6" in diametre and 9" tall. This particular one is poured whole, like a full pillar, however we most commonly insert a tealight holder or pour the outer shell in high melt and lower melt the inside.

Gotta make a few of these up for Christmas now that I remember I have the mold!

Wendy

post-148-139458409409_thumb.jpg

I really like that too! Do you do anything special to the outside to give it mor of an effect to look like a log?

The one in picture was poured a darkish brown colour. After it was demolded we take silver acrylic mixed with medium and dry brush the candle to add some highlights. because the master (the piece of log we used to make the mold) was very rough the paint mixture when dry brushed only hits the high areas and leaves all the cracks a dark brown.For this one I was going for a birch type bark finish on it. Hard to show in the picture.

Since you make all your molds, when you get the log cut sideways & holes drilled make a mold of that so all you have to do is pour, no more sawing or drilling.

BTW - how does the one of that log look? Are they both wood grain.

I don't think I would do another of this one unless it was for an order, a ton of silicone was used for this mold, lol. Although if I did it a little smaller it wouldn't be too bad.

I am not sure what you mean by your last sentance but if it is are both ends wood grain looking then no they are not so laying it on the side with a slice taken off wouldn't look that pretty, thanks for pointing that out! I did pour one up last night, (lol) took awhile to find the mold! I am going to slice it into 2" thick rounds or so and drill out a tealight holder space in each, the top and bottom will be flat looking but the outer edges will show all the bark detail.

Will see how those look.

Thanks everyone

Wendy