International wholesale?

beesweet

I never gave any thought or wanted the hassle of shipping internationally, but finally caved for smaller retail orders. Now, I find myself overwhelmed with wholesale requests from Canada, New Zealand, and more and think I should entertain the possibility.

So, can someone give me the ins and outs? How do you ship larger wholesale-size orders? What do I need to know to make this a possibility?

Thanks in advance!

I ship to Romania - this is my only overseas wholesale order because they are the only ones to adhere to my minimums. I make them buy at least $500.00 or more and they pay all the shipping.

Hey, I figure if they are gonna pay it may as well ship to 'em.

I only use USPS for shipping and all their information is right on the site. You can fill out everything as you go and they will print out the forms you need to fill out at the end. Pretty easy, but very time consuming!

Just want to add that if you are shipping to other countries, make sure you check before you make your products to be sure that those countries are allowed to import what you are sending. I know that certain herbs, for example, aren't shipable (is that a word?) to certain countries in certain forms and it would suck to spend time and money making something that customs would refuse. JMO.

Thanks, Jenny. With using USPS, I am concerned that it doesn't look like you can track or confirm delivery? They are much cheaper though when playing with shipping estimates.

CountryGal, thanks for the heads up. How would you find out what is and isn't allowed?

Just another thought although I am looking it from the other way around, we are located in Canada. Our insurance must have a rider for international selling, either wholesale or retail. We have to specify and pay a premium for each country we ship to. Your insurance company may be different. Some countries are more costly than others as well, for us the US and Japan are the most expensive premiums we pay.

In addition when we were just homebased and carried our insurance as a rider on our house insurance we could not get out of country coverage. We had to switch to a commercial policy for that, much bigger bucks.

Just something you may wish to check into.

Wendy