How much wax (j223) to test 1oz oil samples

bdank

Hi folks,

I'm just getting back into candle making after a two year break. We moved to Okinawa Japan and I couldn't get supplies over there. So, I sold all my stuff before we went over there and now that I'm back in the States I have to start all over! It's been so long since I've made any candles I forgot everything I learned! I recently put in an order for some J223 and tons of FO samples from Just Scent. I never ordered from them before but the samples I got smell great and I can't wait to get them in some wax! I'm going to start off with some container candles to get the feel for things again, but I can't remember: when testing the 1 ounce fragrance oil samples how much wax should I use to keep it at the 10% ratio. I know it's 1.6 oz FO per pound of wax, but what if you only have 1 ounce of the oil (as most samples are.) I guess the only solution is to use less than a pound of wax to keep the 10% fragrance load, but I'm bad at math and have no idea how much wax that would be. So, in short, I guess what I'm asking here is how do you test those 1oz samples? Also, I can't remember, does wax weigh the same once it is melted? I would assume some might evaporate. Do you guys weigh your wax in liquid form before adding FO?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bonnie

Thanks txgirl,

I guess it would be best to start with 1oz to 1 pound and work up from there if it is too weak, huh? Do you know what size apothecary jar will hold 1 pound of wax? I wish I would have kept notes when I did all this before. :undecided

Bonnie

I won't use a scent that doesn't throw well at the 6.25% (1 oz. per/lb.) ratio...using any more than that for me would constitute a waste of money. If it doesn't throw at that percentage, I won't use the oil and move on. There are many people who ise 8-10%, and that's fine, but what many have discovered, is that if you overload some waxes with FO, it will actually lock the scent up, and won't throw well anyway.

Let's see ... A pound of wax and 1 oz Fragrance oil gives me around 22 liquid ounces give or take a little. So I'd go with a 22 oz jar.

I've had very good results with my candles with the 1 oz/1 lb measurement. I never do anything other than that. Like the other person posted - if you can't get a good throw with that ratio then I'd move on to a different scent or different supplier for that particular FO. I think you will be very happy with the 1/1 ratio too. Give it a try.