Lotion!!

mandyx05

As I'm getting more orders for lotions, I'm thinking that it's time that I try to order a lotion base rather than make it on my own...it seems to be more cost effective and a lott less time consuming. I want to try out a few different lotion samples, but with the cost of shipping on some of them, I wanted to narrow it down to a few that sound good ;) I would like to do a fairly natural lotion (but it doesn't have to be), so I was thinking of trying one of Aquatechs. I am also looking into some of Jody's (soapandthings.com). I'm definitley willing to spend a pretty good amount of money if it's a good base btw. :)

I've searched the boards and found a little bit of info on bases, but I was wondering if anyone has any other recomendations (on these bases or any others!) & I know there's so many - so definitley let me know if there's any lotion base that you didn't like so much.

I appreciate it so much! Thanks!

The best base I have found and I have checked out many has been Bitter Creek, it is Awesome!!! Really rich, silky and smooth, I don't think you will find better anywhere and the price is great and shipping isn't bad either, you can order it by the case and get a better deal. And the supplier is great to work with, too. Check them out at www.candlesuppy.com

Sue Ann

Save on Scents has this multibase that is very very concentrated. I used to use it before I started making my lotions from scratch. You just add warm water and it emulsifies. You get 1 pound for $6.95 I think it was and it makes 5 pounds of finished lotion. You can also tweak it and add shea, or any other oils you want. You can also make body milk, etc with it. I liked it a lot, its really rich and takes only a little bit of fragrance too.

Save on Scents has this multibase that is very very concentrated. I used to use it before I started making my lotions from scratch. You just add warm water and it emulsifies. You get 1 pound for $6.95 I think it was and it makes 5 pounds of finished lotion. You can also tweak it and add shea, or any other oils you want. You can also make body milk, etc with it. I liked it a lot, its really rich and takes only a little bit of fragrance too.

The multi-base I have heard talked about either on here or another board and it does not hold up against germs growing it. Here is some reviews about multi-base http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28041&hl=

The bases by the gallon have the right perseratives to keep germs from growing. That is as long as you wash your hands & sanatize all equiptment.

I make sure everything is clean counter, equiptment etc. Also if I get interrupted for any reason customer, phone etc. for 30min. or more I will sanatise the area again before I start back. You never can be to clean with B&B products.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitley check out the BC. I'm going to order a couple samples elsewhere and I'll be sure to let you know how I like them.

I was also interested in those multi-bases. I was going to order a pound of two different formulas since they are only like $10 a pound w/shipping.

The multi-base I have heard talked about either on here or another board and it does not hold up against germs growing it. Here is some reviews about multi-base http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28041&hl=

The bases by the gallon have the right perseratives to keep germs from growing. That is as long as you wash your hands & sanatize all equiptment.

I make sure everything is clean counter, equiptment etc. Also if I get interrupted for any reason customer, phone etc. for 30min. or more I will sanatise the area again before I start back. You never can be to clean with B&B products.

Thanks for letting me know that! I had searched the boards and didn't find anything on it, so I wouldn't have even known otherwise! Sanitation is definitley a major concern for me...I'm so worried about sending out a batch and then they all end up molding a few months later. The soapdish forums are down for me right now, so forgive me if they already discussed this. Could I add some of my own perserative to the base? I would really like to try it out :)

Thanks again everyone!

I am sure you could add your own preservative. Maybe when the dish is back up we can read more on it, but I have a little amount of a bottle I made back in December for DH, Burberry Brit (yum) and I dont see any evidence of any germies yet:grin2:

I think the key to using any base is getting the fact sheet about the base from the supplier. That way you know how much preservative is in the product so you can possibly add more if you are going to be diluting it with any substance. And the key is to use distiller water, not tap or anything crazy. And the water cant be more than 160 degrees or the preservative will not be effective. Good luck!