Mushy Mushy soap

carmen3032

Hi guys, here is my question I made some cp soap last Thursday here is the recipe I used:

Glowlite's super esay CP Soap for beginners

10 oz olive oil

7 oz coconut oil

1 tbl castor oil

6 oz distilled water

2.6 oz lye

1/2 tsp tumeric for yellow color (optional)

I followed through with the directions. as well as using Robin's tutorial I poured my lye into the oils (100 degrees) oils were at 100 degrees as well. the minute I put the stick blender into the mixture about 5 seconds It was a consistency of paste. I kept mixing for about 5 minutes as per directions, I added 1 oz of Jamaica me crazy FO (I added following directions with robin's tutorial) I even attempted to swirl (LOL ! don't ask) I used blue and yellow dye trying to get a green color it came out purple I poured into the mold and let sit for 24 hrs. I cut it into bars. four days later it is still soft. what did I do wrong? hope I explained this well enough. I can't post a pic, I'm still stuck in the dinosaur era here at my house don't have digital camera yet. :o .

It has a relatively high % of olive so it will be softer than others. The color change - if you were using dyes they are FD&C colors and they are sensitive to the pH of the solution, so they can change color on you. A blue can turn to purple, for instance.

As long as it looks like it's solidifying, not oozing weird stuff, just let it sit. I have a high % of hard oils in my recipe and after cutting I can still dent it with my finger. 1 oz of FO for that much oil is OK, but more than I use - some FOs can "soften" a recipe as well I've noticed.