Question about citrus acid

JenT

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought citric acid but under a different name (sour salt)...or if it's even the same thing?

I read tonight while searching for a deal that sour salt is citric acid.

I'm thinking...maybe some of the local farmers markets may sell this under that name.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

JenT

EDITED: OPPS! Spelled citric wrong....lol

Hmmm, whats the sure jell? is that the sour salt you are referring to? Just curious b/c I have never heard of either. Do you have a basic bath bomb recipe to go by? My DD and I make an awesome one w/ tro oil and we get our citric acid at craft lobby. gr8 price there.:D

I'm not sure what sure jell either...but I will look into that also.

I was looking to buy citric acid in bulk and I found this

http://www.bulkfoods.com/citric_acid.htm

which said its actually "sour salt" which got me thinking....I can not find citric acid in any stores around me....but there are a few amish/farmers markets and thats where I buy all my canning jars...so I think I am going to start searching for the sour salt....if I find it at a good price...I will let you guys know!!!!

Before you press that order button at craftlobby, I wanted to point out that bulkfoods prices for citric and all their products already includes shipping. So you get 5 pounds for $12.23, total, whereas 5 pounds shipped to me from craftlobby is $23.99. I buy my citric, baking soda, coconut powder and salts from bulkfoods. Its the way to go for those kinds of things. And it is the best price you are going to find, cant beat free shipping!

Before you press that order button at craftlobby, I wanted to point out that bulkfoods prices for citric and all their products already includes shipping. So you get 5 pounds for $12.23, total, whereas 5 pounds shipped to me from craftlobby is $23.99. I buy my citric, baking soda, coconut powder and salts from bulkfoods. Its the way to go for those kinds of things. And it is the best price you are going to find, cant beat free shipping!

Yeah...with shipping...10pounds turns out to be $26.19

From where? Craftlobby or bulkfoods? Bulk ships free to 48 states:) I last ordered from bulk a few months ago and no handling charge, but then again I get a few things at a time. maybe citric acid would be a good co op, and baking soda.....

Sorry forgot to put that in...from craftlobby.

I think I am going to wait until tomorrow and check out an amish store not far from me 1st before I order on line. I buy baking soda from there for .49cent per pound...and always looked for citric acid not "sour salt"....I do remember seeing some strange salts in there so I am crossing my fingers that I will find a great deal....they sell everything in bulk..here is a picture...or link to a picture anyways http://www.bylers.com/bulkfood.html

If I find some at a good price....I will post it here and help you guys save money!

Okay....didn't find anything good....they had citric acid but not in the bulk buys they do...it was pre-packaged...can;t remember the name on it now....but it was near the canning supplies at almost $2 a pound.

They had liquid citric acid too....near the candy making supplies....I did find ALOT of flavored oils, powdered soy and goats milk.

I think tomorrow I will take a look around for some chem. stores!!

Okay....so far NO luck in my area!

I even posted on our Community online board and no one has a clue either.

I did have one other B&B maker....give me a link to a store on ebay....that sells 50pounds...$1.10 per pound... with shipping its about $1.60 per pound

Anyone ever bought from them before???

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-lbs-Citric-Acid-1-10-per-lb_W0QQitemZ160004306288QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3089QQcmdZViewItem