Wicks

O.k. I bought a master wick sampling kit from Lonestar and i think i am confusing myself. Do i need to test one size from each type like LX, zinc, etc.... or do i test within the types. Like which LX size works best in the jars i want to use. Also do i need to test with all the FO i want to use even if using same wax and same size jar?

Am i looking for what i like or is there something specific i should be looking for? Right now i am using IGI 4630A in the jelly jars from walmart. :undecided

I would start by selecting one series (type) of wick and testing that first. For instance, start with a jelly jar, wax, one fragrance and test the LX series. Try as many sizes as you need to find one that works for you. I like to pour multiple candles with different size wicks and burn them at the same time to compare how they burn. If you aren't satisfied with the way the LX are burning, then turn to another series, like zinc or CD, and start testing those.

And yes, for each fragrance you want to use, you will need to test it to find the right wick size. Fragrance oils vary from one another, some are heavier, some lighter and so you can't use the same size wick for each oil. You have to test each oil in your jar/wax combination. HTH :)

As a starting point, which size mason/jelly jar are you going to use? Which wax are you going to test? Fragrance oil? Some of us may be able to recommend which wicks to test, if we know the specific variables. And again, these are just recommendations...what work for us may not be your preference.

Oh: I'm editing because you did mention which wax and jar you're using!!!! Doh!!!

I'm not sure which wicks are included in your sample pack, but for 4630 and 16 oz. jelly jars, I'd start with HTP 73's, 51-32-18z, or LX 18. Give that a shot as your testing starting points. I tend to need to wick up a bit on some of the really heavy fragrance oils, such as Peak's Amish Harvest, BCN's Spiced Cranberry, JS's Vanilla Buttercream Crunch, etc.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Hi JustRightCandles!

I have used 4630a for about 3 years now (not many do). I use the low-smoke zinc wicks from WSP and a few other users like the HTP and the regular zinc wicks in this wax.

If the diameter of your jelly jar is about 3", you could try a #21 low smoke zinc. However, like I said there are a couple of other 4630 users that swear by HTP and Zinc. The staff at WSP have a lot of great suggestions on wicking this wax too.

Like the others said, try one type of wick at a time, measure your container diameter and start with the wick size that is recommended for that size container. Take lots of notes.

Clean Cotton should give you a nice throw in 4630 but this wax will have you banging your head against a wall trying to find strong cold throw.

HTH.:grin2:

Yes, there are definitely differences in how wicks burn...each have their own characteristics...and will perform slightly differently depending on the wax, length of burn time, type of dye and FO used, etc. Some wicks have a cotton core, a paper core, no core, etc., some wicks are self-trimming, some have no curl, some curl, etc. Some wicks smoke more than others depending on the other variables of the candle. Other wicks will give you a large mushroom while burning, which some find unsightly. You are really and truly going to have to test one type of wick at a time, take notes, and see which type of wick, and size, will work for your 16 oz. jars. Testing can be a pain...I would recommend making one test candle, wick it, burn it, take notes on your observations (such as time it takes to come to a full melt pool, length of burning time, type and size of wick, hot throw [how strong it smells as it's burning], size of the flame, if it mushrooms or not). When you're done testing that wick, pull that wick out of the candle, and plug in another. This way, you don't have to pour separate candles for each wick. Hope this helps!