Ready for first batch of CP - How's this recipe? (It's what I have on hand)

Funky Monkey

Hey everyone. I'm finally ready for my first batch. Gonna make it tomorrow (if this recipe looks ok.) I don't have much on hand by way of ingredients, but I put in what I had in the soapcalc and this is what it came up with:

Hardness: 32

Cleansing: 17

Conditioning: 63

Lather: 17

creamy lath: 15

Iodine: 83

INS: 132

I am still learning what those numbers mean (I guess what I really need is a scale so I know what needs to be where), so don't laugh if it is completely off.

I seriously need to do some shopping, but this is what I have (that I put in the calculator.)

Coconut (76 deg, solid) 25%

Crisco 25%

Olive 25%

Safflower Oil 25%

Yes, I know it lacks imagination, but like I said, it's my first batch and I really need to understand why if the numbers are not good.

Thanks in advance for the help - and not laughing :grin2:

Ginger

FM

OK. Did a variation for you. Your overall iodine is too high. Safflower is not a long shelf oil and soap with high percentages of this oil is prone to DOS. 10% is a nice, safe number.

Try this

Crisco 25

Coconut 25

Olive 40

Safflower 10

Your iodine drops to 73 (still a bit high, high=soft) the other numbers are pretty much the same.

E - do you think the 5.8 is too soft? What level do you usually aim for?

I don't have soapmaker. The iodine is indicitave of overall hardness; aim for 60's to low 70's. In the 2 examples on soapcalc, the iodine is 65 and 66. The sample hardness numbers are 39 and 45 respectively. The posted recipe was a hardness of 32. In this case, higher is harder. The iodine is the opposite, lower equals harder.

Wild! Cause my favorite recipe (granted, I have not been at this long as you well know LOL) has an Iodine of 61, and in SoapMaker is a hardness of 5.8 also (like the recipe in the first post) - goes to show you it's not really so simple after all...

I swear there is so much to learn!