A weird thing just happened

TerriWV

Someone had asked me if I could do a Clove soap for them. So, the Clove I had wasn't soap safe. I was at Creative Candle Supply the other day, and their Clove is Safe, so I got a bottle. I mixed up my recipe as always. I have gotten into the habit of adding my FO to the warm oils, because I sometimes forget to add them. Anyway, I did all that, and added my lye water. YIKES! That took off like a rocket. I mix and mix, and mix, and it's getting thicker by the minute. It then started what I call "ricing" really bad, while it was thick. I gave up and dumped it into the mold, and tried to smooth it out. That was a lost cause. I got it smoothed out the best I could, and had a little bit left over so stuck that bit in another small mold.

I get the bright idea to dump the small portion into the bowl and warm it. When I went to dump it into the bowl, it was a liquid, with the top the same as it was when I put it in the mold. I then let it sit in the bowl and warm, and stirred, it was looking good, so I put it back into the mold. I kind of felt the top of the larger mold, and it too had turned from rock hard to a liquid. It almost acts as if it is gelling, which it may be. I started to wash up the bowl I had used to remelt, and I had suds like you wouldn't believe just from a tad bit that was still in the bowl. I never have suds like that when I wash up the bowl after pouring. And this was just 10 minutes after putting it in the mold.

I know one thing..no more Clove soap for me. That was a nightmare!!

That soap had a life all its own! :tiptoe: It's such an awful surprise. :embarasse

If you use clove essential oil that shouldn't happen to you. I use it in a couple of EO blends for soap; a little goes a LONG way. I love the way a cured clove soap smells.

Don't give up on clove, just that FO! :shocked2: (Lavender and clove is nice.)

It was probably what they call "false trace". It gets thick real real fast but really isnt tracing, its just a fo reaction, you should have kept stiring.

But I think I too would have stopped stiring and smashed it into the mold as fast as I could, cause its so hard to tell.