Trouble with tunneling

Hi, I have another question and I appreciate the help of all you experts. I have tested several wick sizes and all my soy container candles when lit will rapidly tunnel down like a 1/2 inch to an inch and then the burn rate seems to level out. I was reading that putting too much fragrance can also affect how it burns.I know that I probably put too much fragrance in.

I waited like 24 hours after I poured the candle to light it and was also wondering if that is enough time for the candle to cure. My candles don't pool very well and I don't know how a soy candle is supposed to burn. I had a paraffin commercial candle and burned it for comparison. It never tunneled and it developed a nice pool on top. Are soy candles supposed to burn exactly like that? If so,I am definitely in trouble.

Thanks,

palette2006

http://palette48.etsy.com

http://www.sweetoutfits.com

Hi Palette2006,

The answers to tangerines questions will help to determine where things are going wrong for you.

Also if you look in the search facility & archives you'll find lots of help.

I'm new to using soy myself & it is so very different from the paraffin I've used for years, but I really like it.

Keep trying, you'll get there in the end & let us know how you get on.

Sally.

If you have tried several sizes and are having the same problem, chances are you might be using a wick that's not designed to handle vegetable waxes ?? Just a guess since I don't know exactly what kind of wax and wicks you're using, but all wicks are not created equally when it comes to burning in soy. I'd stick with a wick designed for vegetable waxes. HTH, and good luck in your testing. :) Happy candlemaking trails to you! :grin2:

I am using PSW CC-127b 100% natural and 100% soy one pour wax. The wicks I used are pretabbed-cotton wicks 62-52-18 for 4-5 inch diameter containers, 60-44-18 pretabbed cotton for 3-4 inch diameter, and 51-32-18 pretabbed cotton for 2-3 inch diameter containers. I was using a 2 and 7/8 inch inner diameter container. I also bought these items as a soy candle making kit so I would think these are the proper wicks for this type of wax? I'm sorry I don't know what an FO load is?

Thanks,

Leslie

It could possibly be as simple as you have an air pocket just under the top of your candle. Some waxes, even though they are one pour, you will still get air pockets. I know I still do sometimes, but sometimes it's easy to tell because you get cracks in your candles. What you can do is take a skewer or something of that sort and poke a couple of holes around your wick when it is setting up to release any trapped air, then either do a repour to fill any holes after it's hardened or hit it with a heat gun.

I haven't worked with the type of wax you are using, so I don't know if it is prone to air pockets, I'm sorry... maybe someone else might know. But at least it's something to think about. :)

Leslie,

I'm not familiar with your wax or your wicks -- sorry. But from your description, it looks like you've been testing the range of wick sizes that should cover the diameter of your container.

What's the recommended pouring temperature for your wax?

Hi. I've tried the cb 127 and think it is a pretty good wax. I think the maximum fragrance load is 6%, so if you added more, that might be the problem. Also, if you start with a wide jar...3-5" you are working on a more difficult wicking as many have to double wick that size range. I do think you might just be wicking too small. If you have an 8 oz. jelly jar, the wicking would be within some of your cotton wick ranges. I would also email the supplier and get more exact help. I think Northstar sells this wax. hth. Beth

edited: just found a 8 oz. sq mason with this wax and has citrus teak at 6% and it is throwing good with a 60C. Your FOs have a lot to do with the throw also. I've only had two from Lonestar and neither did well in soy not saying some might. I am still thinking of using this wax but had already bought 200 lbs of another first. Beth

edited again: not sure if it is the same wax or not...I saw the 127 and thought so, but then just went back and re-read and you have more letters etc. ??? Not sure. Just finished burning the cb127 I have, and may have to go back to it as it throw so good. B

I am using PSW CC-127b 100% natural and 100% soy one pour wax. The wicks I used are pretabbed-cotton wicks 62-52-18 for 4-5 inch diameter containers, 60-44-18 pretabbed cotton for 3-4 inch diameter, and 51-32-18 pretabbed cotton for 2-3 inch diameter containers. I was using a 2 and 7/8 inch inner diameter container. I also bought these items as a soy candle making kit so I would think these are the proper wicks for this type of wax? I'm sorry I don't know what an FO load is?

Thanks,

Leslie

One problem is 62-52-18 no matter what they say does not cover a 4-5 inch radius. Its more like a 2 1/2-3. I use those for my 3 inch diameter 9 oz melting pot jars and they barely sometimes make it to a 1/4-1/2 inch melt pool. I know that wick well and it isnt big enough. All those diameters are way off. You should try HTP, CD's or Eco's. To give you a good taste of them order sample packs of each type to give you a feel of what wick you would like. Keep those cottons because they are still great wicks for smaller diameters or certain jars.

FO load. since you are using a %100 soy I would guess 6% FO load max. So that could mean you can use 1-1 1/2 ounces in weight, not volume of Fragrance oil. If you used any more than that than that could be a problem.

Don't over estimate these kits. Depending where they come from makes a difference too. Not all soy wax suppliers have the best feel for it either. Out of all honesty read these boards. Get to know what everyone has a feel for product wise and supplier wise. You will see who likes what the most and whom uses what. Then order sample sizes to test things out of what you like the best. Then play around. It does take a while, be patient and let your creativity do its work. Especially when you are trying the hardest wax to master.