Does this look OK for a Shampoo Bar?

michelleB

I've never really gotten on the Shampoo Bar bandwagon, but I can't tell you how many requests I've gotten lately to come up with one. So I've been playing around on SoapCalc and this recipe gives me the numbers I'm shooting for, BUT how do the actual oils & butters look for a Shampoo Bar? I mean, is there any reason why I shouldn't have any of these in here? Or other oils/butters that are better suited for the hair? I have a little Canola, Avocado and Jojoba on hand, but other than that...I've only got what's in the recipe below. Any advice is welcomed, as I hope to have these ready to roll in time to surprise my friends for Christmas.

This is what I've came up with so far (working in grams here):

For a 22 oz test batch:

84 g Castor Oil = 13.46%

104 g Coconut Oil = 16.67% (*Using SAP of Cherry Kernel oil)

178 g Crisco Shortening = 28.5%

28 g Olive Oil = 4.49%

56 g Shea Butter = 8.98%

4 g Stearic = .64%

46 g Cocoa Butter = 7.38%

124 g Lard = 19.88%

200 g Fluid (thinking Aloe juice?) = 32% of oils

80 g Lye = 5.41% SF

The numbers I get for the properties are as follows:

Hardness - 39

Cleansing - 11

Conditioning - 57

Bubbly - 23

Creamy - 40

Iodine - 63

INS - 144

Does this look like a GREAT shampoo bar, or a DUD? I really don't want to disappoint my friends by stripping their hair down to the texture of sun-dried hay. Although they ARE used to me doing that (home perms, ugh!).

It looks amazing to me. Cleansing but not stripping. The lather will be a little low, but if you up it you will dry their hair so I thinkyou balanced it very well.

Please keep us posted. I'm going to try the one O-woman posted elsewhere, but she said then she hadn't tried it yet.

We're all experimenting!

Carol

Thanks Carol! That's the little 'push' I needed to give it a whirl. Assuming I don't overheat the whole batch (been dealing with soap morons a lot lately), or that I don't leave any oils out while making it....I should be able to test it out in just a couple of weeks to see how it does.

Are SILK fibers an ok addition? I always add them to my regular bars, so...how bout for the hair? Anybody use them?

Let the experiments begin!! lol