room spray, ????

dmarty

Okay after many days on the computer trying to fiqure out the differences between alcohols, I think I am more knowledged. But still there are so many.

Okay if I understand correctly the difference between everclear(grain) and sp denatured 40(sometimes called perfumers blend right??) is the additives that make it unfit to drink??

I live in pa so I cannot buy everclear, and from what I found is that the chemistry store is the cheapest place at $30.00 a gallon to buy this(denat).

Also what I am totally not understanding and want to try to clear this up. The "other" alcohols and what role they could play if any in room spray.

Rubbing alcohol

witch hazel

vodka

I realize their alcohol content is not as high as the above alcohols but which of these would have the higher content, not worrying about drying to the skin because this is to be used in a room spray.

Just trying to find the most cost effecient, with the above I probably would not have to add as much to the distilled water, but below has already been diluted with distilled water so would have to add more.

Can anybody clue me in if I am partially right with any of this?? I'm feeling a bit looney with all the info I am trying to absorb. :P

Okay after many days on the computer trying to fiqure out the differences between alcohols, I think I am more knowledged. But still there are so many.

Okay if I understand correctly the difference between everclear(grain) and sp denatured 40(sometimes called perfumers blend right??) is the additives that make it unfit to drink??

I live in pa so I cannot buy everclear, and from what I found is that the chemistry store is the cheapest place at $30.00 a gallon to buy this(denat).

Also what I am totally not understanding and want to try to clear this up. The "other" alcohols and what role they could play if any in room spray.

Rubbing alcohol

witch hazel

vodka

I realize their alcohol content is not as high as the above alcohols but which of these would have the higher content, not worrying about drying to the skin because this is to be used in a room spray.

Just trying to find the most cost effecient, with the above I probably would not have to add as much to the distilled water, but below has already been diluted with distilled water so would have to add more.

Can anybody clue me in if I am partially right with any of this?? I'm feeling a bit looney with all the info I am trying to absorb. :P

Buy rubbing alcohol or witch hazel.. super cheap, available at Walmart or the grocery store, and you won't be violating any liquor laws if you sell it. OR, you could just buy cyclomethicone and not use any alcohol in your products, plus the room freshener could double as a body spray if the proper FO were used! :)

Do you need to add polysorbate when using the rubbing alchohol or witch hazel?

That is debatable. Polysorbate acts as an emulsifying agent, so when water and oil are mixed, it should help them to bind. Before I started using cyclo in my room sprays, I used the witch hazel/distilled water/FO recipe and did NOT use the polysorb, and I just added "Shake Well" to my labels, and reminded customers to do so. It worked fine, but once I discovered cyclo I quit doing it that way and haven't revisited the old recipe.

[isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

/QUOTE]

I would not be using rubbing alcohol in any type of spray for the body or in a room spray! Even on sale at the store there is nothing about spraying it and inhaling it - you have to be careful with that stuff. Not to mention it is highly flammable.

[isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

/QUOTE]

I would not be using rubbing alcohol in any type of spray for the body or in a room spray! Even on sale at the store there is nothing about spraying it and inhaling it - you have to be careful with that stuff. Not to mention it is highly flammable.

All is true, however, ingesting FO probably wouldn't be a very good idea either.. you have to be careful with everything you use to make your products.