Calling all lotion experts...Need help with

elleah

my lotion. I have been so busy testing to find a lotion that I am satisfied with and have not had any luck. So I'm coming to the experts for help.

I like a lotion that sticks with you. If you have ever used victoria secrets lotion it smells good but seems to disappear as soon as you put it on. I really like how the lotion base from BCN "sticks with ya". It's not greasy but you definately know you've got it on.

So, does anyone know what group of ingredients or what single ingred. can be used to achieve this. The ingred in the bcn lotion base are:

water

propylene glycol (humectant)

glycerine (humectant)

glycol stearate (emulsifier)

stearic acid (emulsifier - thickner?)

cetyl alcohol (emolient)

aloe juice

isopropyl palmitate (helps with glide)

cocoa butter

shea

dimethicone (glide - helps with greasy feel)

triethanolamine

vit e

then a bunch of extracts

and preservatives

Is it the butters that were used or maybe the humectants. I thought that too much glycerine would be sticky - is that the same with the propyl. glycol?

Thanks for any help...

Lori

Hmmmm....do you mean a handmade lotion from scratch that "sticks with you"? If so, I make just such a lotion. My handmade stuff feels thick and rich, and when you put it on, you KNOW you have lotion on. It sticks with you and helps prevent further moisture loss from your skin, if you know what I mean. It feels like it's there in the background doing its work. LOL I just use a simple combination of (mostly) water, shea butter, avocado oil and one other oil, stearic and e-wax.

HTH

IMPO, based on my personal likes and dislikes, the best lotions & creams...have a butter, as opposed to all oils, to give a lasting moisture..the key is usually to find the right percentage of butters vs water and oils to have lasting moisture & emolliant qualities as oppsed to just plain greasiness.

I like to use about 15% butter.

Yes crafty - I've been trying to find/formulate a lotion recipe that is thick, rich and sticks with me. But am failing miserably. Since I like the bcn base I thought about going to that ingredient list for help but that just stumped me more. I can't believe the butters are so far down on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try to up my butters and use some shea instead of mostly cocoa. (Was trying to keep away from shea - I love the feel but it makes my face break out a little). I don't know that I've tried any with avacado oil either so will try that.

Any other suggestions???

Yes crafty - I've been trying to find/formulate a lotion recipe that is thick, rich and sticks with me. But am failing miserably. Since I like the bcn base I thought about going to that ingredient list for help but that just stumped me more. I can't believe the butters are so far down on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try to up my butters and use some shea instead of mostly cocoa. (Was trying to keep away from shea - I love the feel but it makes my face break out a little). I don't know that I've tried any with avacado oil either so will try that.

Any other suggestions???

Try about 75% water, approx. 15% butters and oils, and roughly 5% stearic and 5% ewax. I use Polawax. For my oils and butters, I always use some shea butter and avocado oil, then I vary the third oil. Sometimes AKO, SAO, jojoba, monoi, fco, etc. My lotion turns out rich, thick, somewhat draggy, but it does sink in readily and makes my skin feel soft and protected. HTH

So then, do you not use any glycerin? Personally, I can't stand the feeling of glycerin (too sticky) and I end up going to wash the lotion off. But I also don't have super-dry skin (the absolute opposite). But I have friends with really dry skin that want a lotion. Should I use glycerin, or just use a higher percentage of oils? I've been thinking about getting some sodium lactate, but I need to use up the glycerin I have first (I was thinking about finding kids crafts that use glycerin!). What is the consensus?

Thanks again crafty - I'll give your suggestion a go with the oils that you use. I'm ok with a little drag as long as it stays with me. Although a bit of IPM added with the fo and preservative would probably do the trick. I'll probably try it tonight - will let you know how it goes.

lori

So then, do you not use any glycerin? Personally, I can't stand the feeling of glycerin (too sticky) and I end up going to wash the lotion off. But I also don't have super-dry skin (the absolute opposite). But I have friends with really dry skin that want a lotion. Should I use glycerin, or just use a higher percentage of oils? I've been thinking about getting some sodium lactate, but I need to use up the glycerin I have first (I was thinking about finding kids crafts that use glycerin!). What is the consensus?

I personally do not use glycerin or sodium lactate, although I've debated playing around with them. By the same token, I like my lotion as it is, so I figure why "fix" it if it ain't broken? LOL You know how it is with us creative types, though ... always on the hunt for an "improved" and more perfected forumulation. heh heh

Sometimes "simple" works just as well, if not better, than "fancy" -- KWIM? :) Part of the reason I got into making my own lotion was that the store-bought ones had all kinds of unknown ingredients I was rubbing onto my body and letting my skin absorb. At least with my formulation, I know what is going onto my body and I try to keep the ingredients as natural as possible.

The other reason I got into lotionmaking is that the commercial stuff just wasn't cutting it for my dry skin. For the first time in memory, I can shower in the winter and not have flaky dry shins ... as long as I use my handmade lotion afterwards. :) Yay! Not bragging on myself here ... I learned everything I know about lotionmaking from OTHERS, for sure!! :D

Thank you Crafty!!!

I always feel so much better after talking to you guys!:yay:

And that super thick lotion that I made previously that had separated? Well, I'd stuck it in the fridge and stirred, and several days later and it's still ok!!!

Yea for me!

Sorry, I couldn't control myself. I'll go back to my corner now.:whistle:

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank crafty for giving us those basic lotion percentages! There are a lot of great recipes out there but when you're starting out and don't have many ingredients (or don't want to use the expensive ones on something that might have to be tossed), it's great to have a nice solid starting point. And it allows newbies to create their own recipe or oil blend instead of using someone elses. I just love it when I find a "recipe" with just the percentages of water and oils, etc. Thank you so much!

christina