laser printer problem

klo

I finally broke down and bought a color laser printer. I am getting a black smear or dots on the page if I use anything but the laser 24# paper. I need to use 110# card stock and laser labels. The card stock messes up big time, I don't want to waste any labels since this is happening. I bought a HP 1600. I started to get the 2600 that was recommended but I was told this one was the same without the network card. I read on a forum like this one for printer that someone had issues with the 2600 doing the same thing. I am very unfamiliar with color laser printers and would like to know if this happens at first. I did do a clean page as recommended on the printer help section.

HELP:embarasse

I went to staples after reviewing on this site, they no longer carrier them in the store and I wanted to see a print demo and compare, went everywhere today and started to get the OKI c3200n, it was on sale. the sales guy told me even though the ink is cheaper on the OKI, when you replace toner on the HP you are also replacing the drum each time where on the OKI you aren't. a drum cost $150, they aren't expected to go bad for at least 10,000 pages, which is a ton, but the HP feature seemed better and it came with full toner where the OKI came with starters. I'm not sure what to do now, the OKI was on sale for $299, the HP 2600n was $399, the 1600 was $299 with a $50 rebate.

I have a Xerox Phaser 6350 it and the smaller phasers are absolutely terrific. I wouldn't trade this for the world. As a matter of fact we are hoping to get another for the second printer in the office soon.

Read up on it.

Here is a link that might help you

Good Luck

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/color-laser-printers/reviews.html

I finally broke down and bought a color laser printer. I am getting a black smear or dots on the page if I use anything but the laser 24# paper. I need to use 110# card stock and laser labels. The card stock messes up big time, I don't want to waste any labels since this is happening. I bought a HP 1600. I started to get the 2600 that was recommended but I was told this one was the same without the network card. I read on a forum like this one for printer that someone had issues with the 2600 doing the same thing. I am very unfamiliar with color laser printers and would like to know if this happens at first. I did do a clean page as recommended on the printer help section.

HELP:embarasse

You need to change the paper setting... thats all. I'm on a Mac so I know how to do it on mine.. not sure if you are on a PC. On a mac - there is a "Utility" button in the print box window.. which links you to a place where you change the paper setting.

HTH

Chele

WOW, It worked, thank you so much. It made sense once you said it, when I went to look on how to do it it stated that laser printers can't adjust on its own the thickness of the paper.

I am still not real happy with the quality though. I am going to print a bunch of stuff today and then decide. My labels aren't here to experiment with. My concern with some of the brands is how it feeds the paper through. HP seemed to have the straightest path.

the guys told me that what I have is the same model without the network card, I think I will check with HP and see if thats true. It saved me $100 so I bought the 1600.

I have a brand new 2600n and it is THE BEST thing I have ever purchased! It prints so nice and the gloss labels I use turn out great!

FYI ....the 1600 and the 2600 will not take paper heavier than 48#. I talked to HP and they said running paper heavier than that will void the warranty because it wears the machine out pulling it through. the sales guy told me 110# was fine.

I run brochures and postcards so I have to have something that does this. called OKI and the 3200 will run 110# so I am going to get tomorrow.

None of this was spelled out in their literature. It took the HP rep forever to look it up, but she did think it was too heavy.

Hopefully this will help someone else who is shopping.

edit...when I changed the paper type it seemed to work at first but then started messing up again, HP said this is typical if you try to run the heavy paper.

That really sucks. It just goes to prove you can never trust what a sales rep tells you . You should complain to the store where you bought it.

Here's a link I found useful when I was searching for a printer (not only does it show you where to find good pricing, but you can also get a little info on the product, as well as customer reviews:

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=laser+printer&node=300000&x=41&y=17

He was a pretty knowledgable guy, the HP didn't know right off the bat how thick the paper could be, or could she find it in her literature

but let me tell you, I went and bought the OKI 3200, wow what a difference. This is an awesome printer and their tech support is so much better. I called and they walked me through everything without asking 400 questions first.

If you want to print with paper thicker than 43#, don't get a HP. The OKI is set up to do it and does it with ease. It's a much louder machine but the quality is so much better. It seems like a more heavy duty printer. I paid $299 on sale at Office Depot. That might just be the regular price elsewhere, I don't know. I just wanted to be able to walk in a buy something and be able to return it with ease if it didn't work

please forgive all my spelling errors, I can't figure out how to download the spell check:embarasse

I would recommend spending more money and getting a higher end laser. In the long run you are going to spend less. Granted, you will spend more for the printer and the toner cartridges are more expensive but they are also larger, have a higher resolution and will handle most any paper. I have a HP 3550n. I print constantly and have to refresh toner about once a year. The drum is NOT replaced each time you replace toner in the higher end models. Most any printer below this one - any brand - is a throwaway printer. It will be better than an inkjet for you but not much.

My last HP laser is still in service 13 yrs after purchase. I replaced it only because I wanted 4-color. If I had the money at the time of replacement I would have purchased the 4700 series.