Stupid soap questions

I am VERY new at CP - tried my first one today. When measuring the coconut oil there was solid and liquid in the container and they wouldn't mix. Do I use a little of both or jsut the solid? I used a little of each and I could not get the soap to the trace stage - it looked kind of like a soapy very thin cottage chesse with a layer of oil on the top.

Also 1oz fo or eo per lb - right?:confused:

Thanks

Lisa

Okay - so what is the correct way to melt it? I was told to melt all my solid oils until there were just a few little Chunks left (once removed from heat they will continue to melt) - remove from heat and add the liquid oils.

Was I right to use the liquid and solid form of the coconut oils?

http://watersgulch.com/howtocp.shtml

Here is the link to Robin's tutorial. This will help you to learn the process. Don't give up, you will get there. Sounds like a little more research would really help. The coconut was probably part liquid only because of the heat. It is usually a hard oil but melts in the heat, yes you use both the hard and the liquid. Also take a look at Millers site, lots of info and easy recipes there.

That shouldn't have been a problem. I believe they were thinking that the chunks were solid chunks of coconut. If you melted until almost all of it was liquid they would melt also. I usually melt my oils until almost all are melted then SB them until they are all melted. Then I add my lye.

Did you add the FO before or after it got like cottage cheese? Did you finally get it to trace? Did you get it in the mold and insulated. Come on, curious here.

Okay - do you mix your hard and soft oils and then melt all on the stove?

My coconut oil - Opened from the store was separated - I used a little of the liquid in there and a little of the solid.

I mixed all ingredients with a mixer for a minute - 20 seconds at a time - then added fo and was told mix until trace - NEVER GOT THERE!! I Still poured it in the mold I couldn't throw it out. I put the cottagy stuff in and SOME Of the oil - I WANT IT TO WORK SO BAD!! :cheesy2:

Okay - do you mix your hard and soft oils and then melt all on the stove?

My coconut oil - Opened from the store was separated - I used a little of the liquid in there and a little of the solid.

I mixed all ingredients with a mixer for a minute - 20 seconds at a time - then added fo and was told mix until trace - NEVER GOT THERE!! I Still poured it in the mold I couldn't throw it out. I put the cottagy stuff in and SOME Of the oil - I WANT IT TO WORK SO BAD!! :cheesy2:

I start melting my hard oils til just about melted then add the soft oils. It's fine to have some little pieces of solid oils left when you remove from heat but don't add lye til they are all melted.

Coconut oil will separate especially in this heat we have been having, no big deal.

As for your mixing - I use a hand mixer all the time with out any issues. BUT you need to mix it longer, not in the short intervals like you would a stick blender - Just constantly mix until your reach trace. I add my fo at trace, some do it at different times but I prefer to add mine then. Depending on your ingred, trace time varies.

-It sounds to me like you didn't mix long enough to saponify and didn't reach a full trace (as you mentioned).

-Sounds like you followed the SB procedure with a hand mixer hence not reaching trace.

-Sounds like the fo was the cause of the "cottage cheese" and possibly if you mixed it longer it would of smoothed out.

-could possibly be incorrect measurements of ingred or the recipe.

I could be way off base here but with what info you posted this IMO.