CP soap that didn't set up?

Kymber

I made 2 batches of soap yesterday. One being a mango shea bar and the other is a recipe I have used before. I wanted to change the recipe a bit and add more shea to it to make it a bit more moisturizing. I also wanted to make a 4# batch . I ran it through soap calc to get the lye water ratio and the adjustment on the oils. I ahd also run it through the calculator on MMS to get the percentages. Made the soap........insulated it and left it. I did check it before I went to bed and it did the gel thing. This morning I checked the soap and it is soft....very very soft! Like it didn't set up. Almost soupy in the middle yet. I poured 4 mold soaps with leftovers and they also gelled and set up but not real hard yet but appear to be OK. I have no clue what is going on with it! The outside edges of the log are setting up...will the rest set up? Do I just leave it in the mold for a few weeks till it gets hard enough to cut? Or did something go haywire and it is too soft and won't set up? And if so do I throw it out? This is the first time I have had one that didn't firm up overnight.

Wow, I've never had that happen!! There is no possibility you put too much water in it? I'm confused why that would happen. I can't help you to figure out why........just wanted to pipe in anyways.

Well that was my first thought also......and I went back and checked the recipe. And it still came out the same when I punched the numbers in. It has firmed up now and isn't soupy in the middle anymore...still on the soft side but is firmer. I think it will be OK. It just took me by complete suprise because all my other batches have always been firm by morning. And of course I am second guessing myself because I changed the recipe to use more shea in it and to also make a bigger batch.

As long as you ran it through the calculator with the changes you are fine.

That makes me feel a little better about it! I will just keep it in the mold longer and watch it.....it is already setting up nicely this morning but seems to be oily on top. I had plastic wrap over the top of it and took that off.....but now seems oily. This recipe I used uses soy wax in it and I really really like it for the cleansing............my boys swear by it for cleaning the grease off their arms and hands after working on their cars. But I thought it was a little drying so wanted to add just a bit more moisturizing to it......adjusting it just a titch with the shea butter really did a number on it....LOL

it is already setting up nicely this morning but seems to be oily on top. I had plastic wrap over the top of it and took that off.....but now seems oily.

Sounds like the FO seeping out. Just leave it alone, uncovered, and it may reabsorb into the soap after a few days.