Is this cheating?

candlebean

I have been trying to get a body butter recipie that I like, but they always seem to come out too greasy...I keep finding recipie after recipie and I always seem to be missing a few of the ingredients, so I buy them, try again, and still no luck. Since my house is overflowing with stuff now, I thought about trying a body butter base from WSP (ordered a little bit from the classys) but I feel like I'm cheating LOL KWIM? I'm not sure if this base is what I am going to be looking for or not, but I was just curious as to what everyone's opinions are about using a base vs. making everything yourself from scratch...I know if you are doing it from scratch there is a lot more room to tweak, but any other benefits? Just curious. I figure if the bases are as good as they say on the site, then why wouldn't everyone just use them? :undecided

I use bases for the main reasons of

#1 TIME

#2 Preservatives more stable..and I don't quite get which one goes with what yet

#3 TIME

#4 Money..it seems cheaper to buy the bases than spend bucko bucks making batch after batch until you get it right

#5 oh did I mention TIME..lol:D

#6 I can carry MORE products

I do make some recipes on my own but use alot of bases

I dont think it is cheating you still have to test and add your FO and dye etc..some bases you can add things to them..like scrubby stuff..you can whip the body butter etc.. and yeah they still need tested..trust me..used a base for sugar scrub and put clean cotton in it..the same amount I usually use for other..and it was sooooo strong it makes me sneeze and I was getting gassed out of the shower from the scent. :tongue2:

There are advantages of using them but of course there are also disadvantages.

#1 you sometimes cannot tweak them the way you want without adding more preseravtives

#2 they are not you own recipe

#3 you can always get a bad batch and not know it till later...when you find mold growing in it. :tongue2: :tongue2: ..had that happen before..it was just a bad batch though..could happen to anyone....even if you make your own..so I still use them.

I have been trying to get a body butter recipie that I like, but they always seem to come out too greasy...I keep finding recipie after recipie and I always seem to be missing a few of the ingredients, so I buy them, try again, and still no luck. Since my house is overflowing with stuff now, I thought about trying a body butter base from WSP (ordered a little bit from the classys) but I feel like I'm cheating LOL KWIM? I'm not sure if this base is what I am going to be looking for or not, but I was just curious as to what everyone's opinions are about using a base vs. making everything yourself from scratch...I know if you are doing it from scratch there is a lot more room to tweak, but any other benefits? Just curious. I figure if the bases are as good as they say on the site, then why wouldn't everyone just use them? :undecided

There are many, many, many, many etailers out there,selling ready made bases. I agree with all the "pros" that pamperme listed. I'd also add: peace of mind that they are being tested properly by the supplier, confidence that the product was put together just right and that I didn't miss an ingredient, or put too much or too little of an ingredient, that I didn't somehow compromise the preservative.................another one is: the big supply houses that are selling tons of bases can afford to use alot of good ingredients that I would never be able to afford to use.

I read a few threads about this very subject on a few forums. Pros & Cons, etc....and people who ONLY handmake & look down upon people who sell premade..........let me see if I can go find them & then I'll post them. Going to do it now.