KY Parasoy

Along with toiling long hours on soy, I wanted a candle that looked great and was not a huge hassle. I was able to color plain soy and have it turn out well, but after some time the frosting would creep back. It was too much work. So I decided to sell all soy candles plain, and use a parasoy for colored candles.

I really like the Greenleaf parasoy, but it costs too much to ship to me. I tried the KY Parasoy and though it doesn't quite behave the same, it does pretty well! The only thing it does not do as well as the GL is wet spots/adhesion. It pulls away from the jar, while the GL adheres very well. Given the price and shipping difference, I'm inclined to go with the KY.

Any KY users/former users out there with opinions one way or the other? :grin2:

geek

If you are going to color whatever wax you select, don't you think adhesion is an important factor? I say this because the wet spots on colored candles stick out more than the wet spots on non-dyed candles. This really is noticeable the darker you go. This is JMO.

I would also note the adhesion of the melt pool after it sets up. On some waxes I've used it sometimes becomes the ONLY thing sticking to the glass! Looks bad IMO at least on the thick-glass status jars I use to have a ring of darker-colored wax at the top of the candle after it sets up. (Picky person that I am).

If you are going to color whatever wax you select, don't you think adhesion is an important factor? I say this because the wet spots on colored candles stick out more than the wet spots on non-dyed candles. This really is noticeable the darker you go. This is JMO.

I would want full adhesion first and foremost; barring that, no adhesion at all.

I would also note the adhesion of the melt pool after it sets up. On some waxes I've used it sometimes becomes the ONLY thing sticking to the glass! Looks bad IMO at least on the thick-glass status jars I use to have a ring of darker-colored wax at the top of the candle after it sets up. (Picky person that I am).

I have noticed that, although mrs geek keeps telling me women care more about the candle smelling good, and that it lasts a long time.

I'd be interested in any tips on heating, pouring, etc. Currently I follow the instructions KY provided. Heat to 185, add FO right away, stir and pour at 160-165. I preheat the jars too. Cover with box to try and slow down cooling.

geek

Hey Geek, I haven't tried the parasoy yet, however I'm thinking about it. I just starting testing the ky125 and let me tell you it's a completely different world than the "other" 125 I was trying. I think I'm in love! If I can't knock out a pur soy or soy natural blend, I may have to give the parasoy a shot.

Chris

I've been testing 3 para/soy blends and I have to say KY is winning. Two of them are close enough that I can pick up - that does give them an edge.

I think Mrs. Geek is right... adhesion is the last thing I notice and none of my testers have ever commented on it and I do ask about the appearance of the candle.

I'm also rethinking my coloring with this new wax and think that lighter colors are the way to go with my jars and leave the darker colors to the pillars. Lighter colors equal less noticable wet spots.

With the KY, I have actually added FO about 165*, stir and pour. I don't heat my jars. I work in my basement and it is pretty steady 75* and not damp.

I did go back and look at testers in process and don't see any difference in where the wax has set up after a burn.