m38 vs IGI 1274

I am working on adding a mottled candle to my line and can purchase m38 locally but read so many raves on 1274. For those who have tested both, what made you choose one over the other? The cold throw is great (I am making only a 2 x 6) and the hot is good. I don't have any vbar343 to try with it on the sweating, only steric and it did not seem to help on the sweating. The sweating thing also bothers me, seems like a waste of FO since its coming back out, is there anyway to have M38 not sweat but still be mottled? I have been testing at 6% per pound. thanks everyone. ;)

I liked the M38 better than the 1274, but because I thought it sweated or seeped less. I also thought it threw better as far as scent. The 343 isn't going to cut out the sweating, but will help it some. The FO seeps, but some of it seems to go back into the candle. Just have to give it a day or two of weeping time.

I pour 3s and some 4s.

On the M38, I didn't put any additives the first go around. I don't much care for the 343, but I didn't give it that much of a go. Just enough to make me curse. I thought it tended to hamper the consistent mottling more than help.

With 1274, I added steric. I just seem to get a drier candle with it. I've had it work for me at 2 tsp. to 3 T. Alot of the results had to have been due to the humidity or temps of the seasons.

Other than that, I stick UV in everything.

Since I've never used the M38, I can't compare it to the 1274. However, I have made a couple of mottles w/ the 1274 & the 1343 & the results seem pretty much the same. I do think a more consistent mottle is achieved using FOs instead of MOs. However, this is just a preliminary impression. Hope this helps, at least a little.

You might find this a little more helpful ... as an experiment I made two mottles in the same mold w/ the recipe being exactly the same 'cept for the amt of stearic I used. In Candle A I used the recommended minimum amt, around 2% stearic (by weight) and in Candle B used just under 5%, which is the max recomendation. While Candle B did sweat less than Candle A, to my surprise I discovered that mottling was somewhat inhibited in Candle B. I learned that too much stearic can be bad for mottling.