Status Jars

In reading another thread this was posted: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27763#5

... and Grumpy Girl's post sort of surprised me. Are these jars really that bad to wick? They are just straight sided 2.5 or 3" diameter jars with no lip at all.

I've been trying different wicks to minimize as much as possible any flame flickering lately.

Are these jars more prone to that than other types - and why would that be? I'm wondering if this jar type is contributing to the problem all this time - they are pretty much all I've ever used except a few 3" containers that are basially the same thing but thinner glass.

If you use them in your line have you noticed they are more prone to it than any of your other types?

TIA

EDIT: If it matters all I've used in containers was soy and para/soy blends.

Hey HenryK, I'm almost finished testing my 8oz and 12oz metros and have not had sooting problems yet...they have burned about halfway down the jars. I'm using C-3 wax and an eco12 in the 8oz and eco14 in the 12oz. (with color and fragrance) I have found with the eco's that if I trim to 1/8 inch instead of 1/4 inch it eliminates the flickering which I suppose reduces the sooting also...just guessing, I'm fairly new to all of this!!!

oops, that should be eco 10 in the 8oz and eco12 in the 12oz...

Hi. I don't think they are more prone to flicker than any other deeper than wide jar. I have tried ecos and liked them, but the last ones curl so much they put themselves out. Hey ah-soy, when you trim and burn, how long do you burn for? Some of my wicks won't flicker when really short, but several hours into the burn, they start flickering but not sooting. I like the status jars as they are straight and not tapered like a jelly. Just my opinion. Beth

also, just ordered some warning labels from LSCS specifically designed for soy candles and it says to trim to 1/8" instead of the standard 1/4" warning...perhaps I stumbled upon the flicker/sooting solution by accident!

Hey Beth, all of my test burns have been at right at 4 hours and so far the curling has not caused any wicks to go out. What the curling does cause is one side to pool faster than the other, but it does seem to even out toward the end or catch up on the next burn so I haven't worried about it.

I've been using Libbey's Status jars for over 5 years now and I have no problems wicking them. I'm testing a new Vanilla Maple Pecan mix in a 12 oz, with KY's para/soy with (2) LX 14 wicks. It's down to the last 1" and I have no soot and clean sides......the flames are flickering a tad because of the AC here at my job. Matter of fact, I just sold a customer to crossing over from Yankme cause she could smell it walking in the door downstairs and told me she was impressed (sold them a new roof too, so boss will be happy also)!! :D I trimmed the wicks after the first burn only, but they have self trimmed to no longer than 1/8 to a little less than 1/4" for the consecutive burns.

In the 8 oz., same wax, I usually use an LX24 with the same great results.

I tested some of the premier 700 and Eco wicks and just didn't like them......too much soot for me and didn't get the scent throw I'm used to with the LX.

In the 8 oz., same wax, I usually use an LX24 with the same great results.

A fellow LX Lover :) That is the same size I use for my 8 oz ones for parasoys and the advanced soys. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

I get the same thing as the rest of you guys - flicker if the wick is too long, but not soot.

You know when you first light a container, the flame is close to the air, and the flame is very nice and steady - I'd like to get that through the whole jar! Wishful thinking on my part?

I've even bought a couple container candles to see what happens with the store-bought ones (you would know the name) and they didn't flicker - because they tunneled for a 1/2 inch and then went out. So that was the last time for me wasting money like that.

OK, I may be wrong here, but candle flames will flicker regardless of wick size if they are in a container due to poor air flow at the bottom. Like when you light a votive in a container, it burns fine at the top, but as it melts down, the flame flickers. Could be something to do with CO2 being heavier than air, but I'm no physics brain! The only way to stop it would be to drill holes in the container at the bottom, but of course then you'd have problems with wax leaking everywhere.

I agonised for weeks over my votives when I first made them because the flame flickered. I tried different recipes, wick sizes, scents, additives, but all no joy. Until my dad pointed out the air flow thing and I burned a votive on a candle plate and voila, no flickering.

Flickering is the price we pay for great scent throw :)