Help With the Wax-Melter for a newbie

Hey there! I bought a presto pot and was all ready to get the supplies needed and make my pot this weekend-following the directions on this website. The directions call for 3/8" pieces-nipple, elbow, and valve-which were not difficult to locate.

It also called for a 19/32" drill bit and a thread tap. We were unable to locate these dimensions at either Lowe's or Home Depot-our local hardware stores.

Does anyone have a helpful suggestion regarding possibly using 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces and what size drill bit/thread tap one would need-if these sizes may be more accessible? Or where one would get there hands on the original desired sizes!

I have purchased new waxes and am dying to try them out!

Thanks!!

I too use the presto pots for melting wax. It isn't necessary to have the pouring taps in the pot to start your candlemaking, especially if you're anxious like I was to get started :yay: .

You can pour the melted wax from the pot into a heated 4-6 cup glass measuring cup then pour into your molds or containers.

I remember having a difficult time finding the right sizes when I looked for them also.

Good luck to you!

Ann

My guess is that you will find that 19/32 drill bit and tap at either a NAPA auto parts store or Sears.

Also 1/4" may be too small and easier to clog. The 1/2" may require a 1/2 drill instead of a 3/8 unless you use a 1/2" spade bit - which is made for wood. A spade bit may cut the presto pot material just fine - however a spade bit may want to knock around a good bit more and could gouge the metal.

But then that JB weld mentioned in the linked article is some pretty good stuff if you decide to go that route.