The Purpose of Zinc Wicks ???

I've read alot of discussions on zinc wicks and some people prefer them over others and some don't. What I would like to understand is what is the performance difference. I read they are cool burning but how does this help with the burn of a candle and it's scent throw? Does it only help with the burn time and keep the temp down on the containers? Or do they seem to do better for scent throw? TIA ;)

Personally, I find a better scent throw with my votives with the zinc. I like how they stay straight and don't curl, and I don't mind the 'shroom. Some of them are very interesting!

But, take my opinion with a grain of salt, cause I'm new at this!

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the zinc wicks for soy until my husband brought home a few votives from AspenBay. They had zinc wicks and they are a soy blend. They burned fantastic with no soot. Most suppliers don't recommend using the zinc with soy and now I can't help being curious,lol.

I've used zinc and have gotten excellent results. I have also tested many other types of wicks and the zinc was the best performer for my applications. However, try picking up a sampler pack of different wick types and test to see what ones work the best for you. :)

I wonder if you would have to use a larger zinc size to compensate for the lower burn temp, or would it not matter because most soy has a lower melt point anyway?? Now ya got me wondering! I feel another project coming on.

Cas, did you have to compensate one way or the other?

Now ya got me wondering! I feel another project coming on.

I know how you feel. I've tested several different types of wicks already. But I can't help wonder why a big company chooses to use zinc and gets great results but suppliers don't recommend them.

Zinc wicks work really good in some of my applications, and I do use them. IMO, a lot of people confuse zinc with the "old" lead cored wicks. I think it's just a stigma about having a wick with a metal wire. I have had customers call me and say "I thought you didn't use metal (or lead) wicks." I would rather use CDs, RRDs, or Performas, but sometimes a zinc just works better.

I wonder if you would have to use a larger zinc size to compensate for the lower burn temp, or would it not matter because most soy has a lower melt point anyway?? Now ya got me wondering! I feel another project coming on.

Cas, did you have to compensate one way or the other?

With soy, you might be able to step down, depending on the width of the candle and the scent you're using.

I know with the wax I was using I had to step up with zinc, but even more so with a few of the other types I tested. I also looked at the candle from start to finish, how the wick itself "trimmed", and even how it stood and burned.

There is that stigma people have when they see a metal wick, and I have customers that have walked away because they think metal = lead even after I assure them that lead wicks are illegal in the US and you can't even buy them anywhere.

I'm going to be testing some new waxes in the coming months, so I'm going to re-try all the wicks once more to see how they fair. I will try and remember to post some results.