Speaking of glass containers...

I LOVE frosted glass! Does anyone know where you can get frosted glass containers in a variety of colors, though? They're difficult to find!!!

I read somewhere that you can buy the paint to make your own frosted glass - does anyone have any experience with this? Where I can I find directions and paint?

Hi Catseye,

I'm in Scotland so this may not be any real help to you.

1:yes, you can buy glass paint to create a frosted effect on your glass but in my experience it usually looked streaky if you needed to cover a large area (where the brush strokes overlap it will look more dense).

2: you can buy etching fluid which is applied, left on for a certain amount of time then washed off. I believe this is a strong chemical which eats into the outside of the glass to create the frosting, but in all my years of glass painting I never used it so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

This would probably be the best thing to use to frost a whole glass, & if you apply a cut out shape first that area would be left clear so you could create your own unique design on the glass.

3: if you have a friendly local sand blaster nearby perhaps they'd frost your glasses that way.

I'd google a search for etching fluid & see what turns up.

HTH good luck in your search.

Sally.

Miss Sharon - I checked Candles and Supplies, and they don't have the multiple colors anymore - however, they had a nice selection!

Miss Sally - I will look into the etching fluid option. I had not heard of that technique before, but my husband likes making stained glass and has all sorts of supplies. He knew there was a paint available - we might even have some etching fluid around the house! Thanks again!

i think the etching cream is called armor etch and i know hobby lobby has it.

you paint it on and leave it for 1 minute and rinse off. you can also apply stickers or stencils to your glass and then that part will just be left plain glass. good luck

Catseye - Since your husband does stained glass (I do it too), he'll know where to get supplies. The glass etching liquid is oftentimes sold in stained glass supply shops. There are several online sources for stained glass as well. Armor Etch is one brand that usually is found in hobby stores.

It works well, but you do have to be somewhat careful about how it's applied for it to come out nicely - otherwise it tends to streak or give uneven results. Also, there are lots of stencils for glass etching, just be sure to get the right ones or the etching compound may eat them up - it's fairly potent stuff.

I'm not sure at all how you would get color though - perhaps it could be painted once the etching is done?

Good luck! :)

Lori