emulsifier in Bunnie's bath melts?

CareBear

Still not fond of the beads of melted cocoa butter floating about in the tub when I use my favorite bath melts. Bohunk's got me thinking....

Would an emulsifier work in the melts? Would they melt in bath water temps do you think? Which one? How much? So many questions! I'd appreciate some suggestions before I use up all my materials!

On the other hand, then I'd get to order more!

Hmmmm.

You could try it and just see how it works. I too did not like the clumps so I have tried to sub out other hard butters for the cocoa butter. The worst one was Sal butter. Man it looked like I had whipped cream floating in my tub. I did a combo of FCO and something else too. I think it was shea. Anyway, I have played with this recipe to try and alleviate the melted cocoa floaties so I would be curious to see how it turns out if you add e-wax.

I subbed PS80 as it's what I had and it worked fine.

Polysorbate 20 is most often used to emulsify oil in water mixtures, where additional viscosity is desired. If you are having trouble with your emulsions remaining stable then polysorbate 20 is a great option. Use where little foaming is desired.

Polysorbate 80 is recommended for oil in water emulsions like creams and lotions. Choose this polysorbate when foaming or whipping is desired like whipped body creams or foaming soaps.

• 10 months later...

Eugenia,

Do you mold these like you would a both bomb? Or is it pourable into a tart pan? Any suggestions on final weight per melt? I'd hate to end up like an oil slick!

I love using recipes like this for my boys. Although they love the lotions I make, I forget to slather it on especially if we get busy in the evenings. Anything I can pop into their bathwater that will keep their skin soft is a great product!

TIA

April