Question about ingredients in M&P

Luci

I've been on this site for a short time and have learned so much and now need to learn more! At the risk of sounding more blonde than usual, does the M & P base have lye? I have read tons on M & P and chickens like me not wanting to mess with lye. Ten I read a comment about not being able to make soap without lye. I have bought stuff to do "rebatching" but wasn't happy with my results. I think I just added too much essential oils. But I'm really worried if I am clean enough after bathing in the M & P. I mainly use the goat milk with shea butter. I like the way it lathers and feels on my skin.

I've been on this site for a short time and have learned so much and now need to learn more! At the risk of sounding more blonde than usual, does the M & P base have lye? I have read tons on M & P and chickens like me not wanting to mess with lye. Ten I read a comment about not being able to make soap without lye. I have bought stuff to do "rebatching" but wasn't happy with my results. I think I just added too much essential oils. But I'm really worried if I am clean enough after bathing in the M & P. I mainly use the goat milk with shea butter. I like the way it lathers and feels on my skin.

It's true, you can't have soap without lye. MP has already been through the lye process. What you get with MP is already soap.. what you do with it is essentially making it better~ or worse I guess, depending on what you add to it and how much lol. Theoretically you could take MP soap, whack a chunk off of your round, or loaf or however you buy it, and use it in the shower.. it's soap.. Wouldn't have a scent, but it's soap. HTH

Thanks for clearing that up about m&p. I pretty much thought exactly what you said, prairieannie, but started wondering after some of the posts I read. M&P makes me feel like such a cheater after seeing the beautiful soaps you folks have posted. And I think I did notice a difference in the "clean" feeling after purchasing some "made from scratch" goat milk with shea butter soap from S&S. In any case, thanks so much for answering!!

Thanks for clearing that up about m&p. I pretty much thought exactly what you said, prairieannie, but started wondering after some of the posts I read. M&P makes me feel like such a cheater after seeing the beautiful soaps you folks have posted. And I think I did notice a difference in the "clean" feeling after purchasing some "made from scratch" goat milk with shea butter soap from S&S. In any case, thanks so much for answering!!

LOL.. MP is not cheating! It's easier though IMO. I make both MP and CP, and love them both for different reasons! I have used CP soap that wasn't worth the wrapper it came in, and MP soap that lathered to the high heavens! So much depends on what "extra" ingredients you use in your MP, and of course what type of CP recipe you are using also. Right now I'm using up a bar of MP that I made a few weeks ago, and honestly have to say I haven't made or tried ANY CP soap that compares yet! Just as much work and worry can go into a batch of MP soap as compared to a CP, HP, CPOP, etc. etc. Don't ever be ashamed of making a fabulous bar of soap, nomatter HOW it comes to be!!

LOL.. MP is not cheating! It's easier though IMO. I make both MP and CP, and love them both for different reasons! I have used CP soap that wasn't worth the wrapper it came in, and MP soap that lathered to the high heavens! So much depends on what "extra" ingredients you use in your MP, and of course what type of CP recipe you are using also. Right now I'm using up a bar of MP that I made a few weeks ago, and honestly have to say I haven't made or tried ANY CP soap that compares yet! Just as much work and worry can go into a batch of MP soap as compared to a CP, HP, CPOP, etc. etc. Don't ever be ashamed of making a fabulous bar of soap, nomatter HOW it comes to be!!
:bow: I could not agree more. I make all kinds of soap. Some of my very best are MP.

I started my soap making with MP - then went on to CP. After a loss of power from a hurricane where I lost all of my curing CP and almost all of my oils went rancid - I went back to MP!

I just could Not afford to replace all of the oils (some were in the big "drums"), I couldn't find the lye anymore and it broke my heart to have to throw away all the ruined curing soap.

I find that with the MP I can get a little more creative and I do NOT need as many ingrediants on hand. So if (when?) we suffer from another extended power loss - I will Not loose all of my investment.

And - TeeHee - my DH likes the feel and lather of the MP BETTER than my CP! Go figure - crips - men;)