Cute Photo soap idea for M&P Makers!

Sweet68cam

I found this online today and thought that it was a pretty cute idea so I thought I would share..I am including the instructions and a photo of some soap finished. :D

photosoap2hw.png

What you’ll need to make photo imbedded soap:

1. Soap mold - Individual rectangular or rounded molds work best.
  2. Some Clear, transparent Glycerin soap.
  3. A heat-resistant glass container to melt the soap, preferably with a pouring spout.
  4. Soap colorant.
  5. Soap fragrance – This is optional but a nice touch.
  6. Wooden mixing spoon or chopsticks.
  7. Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.

Instructions:

• Choose the photographs you’d like to use, cut them a little smaller than the soap mold(s) you plan to use, and laminate them.
  • Break the soap base into small pieces for quick and easy melting.
  • Place about 1 cup of the soap pieces into your glass container and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Do not let the soap boil!
  • Stir lightly to melt any remaining solid pieces. Note: If you stir vigorously, you’ll end up with soap full of air bubbles. This is the single, most important thing to remember if you want professional-looking soaps.
  • An alternate method, which I prefer since it seems to cut down on bubbles, is to place the glass container inside a pot of water on the stove. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, stirring the soap occasionally as it melts. Once melted, remove from pot and let sit for a minute until it cools slightly and a film forms. Remove the film gently with a chopstick before proceding to pour into the mold.
  • Add no coloring or scent to this first batch (some scents can change the color.)
  • Pour this clear soap mixture into the bottom ¼ to 1/3 of each mold.
  • Let solidify a few minutes.
  • Spray the surface of the soap with rubbing alcohol (to melt away any bubbles and help with adhesion) and immediately place your laminated photographs (picture side down) on top of the soap.
  • Repeat the above steps to make a colored layer of soap for the photo background. I like to add a very thin second clear layer before adding my colored layer to make the photo appear to be floating.
  • When the soap is melted, add a colorant.
  • Add fragrance.
  • spray the existing, clear soap and photograph with rubbing alcohol.
  • Pour the colored soap mixture on top of the original layer and photo.
  • Let harden completely before removing from the mold.
  • You may place the soap molds in the refrigerator to speed set.

Play around with various color combinations and opaque versus translucent backgrounds. Once you get the hang of it, you can even embed cut pieces of colorful soaps inside your background soap. Another trick is to use several small photos and imbed them at different depths with several layers of clear soap.

I have made these... they are very fun.. .and when the soap is all done its neat to have the pic laminated for on the fridge or in a wallet... You can get lamination envolopes at craft store or dollarstores that work with just your iron... these are a great favor idea

I was reading another thread on here somewhere (couldn't find it again when i looked to link to it sorry) that rippedsheets.com has paper that is soluble. Pretty much the same concept. You print on the paper and put it into your soap and the picture is visible but when you use the soap and wash down to the picture it dissolves. Never having actually ever made a bar of soap i'm wondering if this paper would work the same way with a photograph? Print the photo and embed it. Only difference being that the laminated photo is kept after soap is used as opposed to the soluble paper photo dissolving. Not sure but doing the bit of reading everything before i try anything. Just thought this may work too.

I was reading another thread on here somewhere (couldn't find it again when i looked to link to it sorry) that rippedsheets.com has paper that is soluble. Pretty much the same concept. You print on the paper and put it into your soap and the picture is visible but when you use the soap and wash down to the picture it dissolves. Never having actually ever made a bar of soap i'm wondering if this paper would work the same way with a photograph? Print the photo and embed it. Only difference being that the laminated photo is kept after soap is used as opposed to the soluble paper photo dissolving. Not sure but doing the bit of reading everything before i try anything. Just thought this may work too.

This is what I use (not from that supplier), the soluble paper can be tricky to work with.

I would be afraid that the laminated edges/sides would be painful it you got poked with it while using it.

This is what I use (not from that supplier), the soluble paper can be tricky to work with.

I would be afraid that the laminated edges/sides would be painful it you got poked with it while using it.

I add ribbon to the edges... with doubble sided tape... smooths it out... the ribbon should be taken off the pic after the soap is gone cause it doesnt look the greatest then...

Like I said i've never actually made any soap yet. I ordered some today but they're shut for stocktaking. :( But i've gained a wealth of information on this site already and that soluble paper was one that stuck in my brain. I was thinking of using it with my business name in to give out samples instead of business cards. (when i finally do make them and test them etc.) That's probably the only reason it stood out for me.

Like I said i've never actually made any soap yet. I ordered some today but they're shut for stocktaking. :( But i've gained a wealth of information on this site already and that soluble paper was one that stuck in my brain. I was thinking of using it with my business name in to give out samples instead of business cards. (when i finally do make them and test them etc.) That's probably the only reason it stood out for me.

I'm a perfectionist so they were tough to get down at first. I had lots of practice when I did it for a kid's swap a few months ago. I've gotten alot better since then. I like your idea. I was thinking of doing something similiar but put it with orders saying thank you w/ my business card as well. I've yet to find the right mold. GL, they really are fun to do!