Lye Water

Deb

I'm new to this, just on my third batch of CP and I've run into something that I can't find an answer to. Any help would be appreciated.

I mixed my lye into my distilled water ( w/sugar) and after the initial cloudiness, I noticed the water had a definite yellowish tint to it. I don't remember that happening with my other two batches. I'm using the same container, spoon, water. The only difference is that I am using a different lye. ( I bought some out of the classified section here.)

Any clue why the water would be yellowish? Should I dump it or use it?

Thank you!

You can add TD to get a whiter bar - just be careful and not add too much or it can make your bar feel chalky. Also, the oils and butters and you use can help that too, i.e., a bar with a higher lard content will help to give you a whiter bar.

That's what I played on the soap calc. with, all oils and butters that are "whiter" in color. I don't have any TD, so I was hoping to achieve a whiter bar more naturally.

Oh well, have the fun of all of this is seeing what you end up with, right?

I make a bar with no TD that turns out very white. It's all lard and coconut oil though! LOL Not to mention unscented. :) Yes, don't worry about the yellow lye water. That happens when I put sugar in there first too. :) Doesn't affect the final outcome of the soap color, in my experience.

Lye water with sugar looks repulsive, like pee to me. Perfectly normal and does not affect the color of the soap.

Didya have to give that mental image lol!

Not all of mine look that when I have sugar in the water. Guess I better pay more attention.