Grainy lip balm

candlebean

I just used the following recipe for lip balm and it is SOOOO grainy - like there is sand in there! :lipsrseal Does anyone know what in my recipe would make this so grainy?

8g Candelilla Wax

8g Carnauba Wax

4g Sal Butter

12g Avocado Butter

13g Mango Butter

5g White Cocoa Butter

6g Illipe Butter

10g Emu Oil

10g Castor Oil

12g Shea Oil

12g Apricot Kernal

6g Flavor Oil

Geez, you got me boggled - I usually blame the shea butter but you aren't using it!

Did you make sure everything melted absolutely completely? Your waxes have pretty high melting points.

BTW, I have the world's simplest lip balm. It's the same formula EcoLips uses (I think - same ingredients, same texture) which is 70% jojoba oil, 30% beeswax (I use the yellow beeswax). Saves all the aggravation of such a long list!

Thanks for the tip....I'm weird though - I love lots of ingredients, even when I cook...makes me feel like I'm actually doing something LOL, but I'd rather have a good balm than a little giggle. With that recipe, does your lip balm come out on the harder or softer side? I am looking for something really soft - that once you get into it, it will just stick on your finger and coat your lips....if that makes any sense....

Edited to add: Yep, I made sure that everything was completely melted - took forever for the two waxes, but I made sure that it was completely liquid before I transferred to my little sample pots...

Hmmm...I don't have any Jojoba Oil....I have all this stuff and just wanted it to work LOL. I thought the same thing about the Shea butter when I was getting everything ready - I was sure that by not using it, the grainyness would be gone...

The lip balm I am trying to duplicate is Balmy Nights by Victoria's Secret. I took the list of ingredients on the tin and tried looking each of them up by their INCI name, but was only partly successful. Some things I know what they are, but don't know if a supplier would actually sell them. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would love you forever. I am addicted to this stuff and would love to be able to make it myself in other flavors. The ingredients are listed in the order they are on the tin and the ones in red are ones that I either am unsure about or just have no clue whatsoever.....there's free lip balm in it for whoever can help me crack Victoria's secret....:rolleyes2 :drool: Here goes:

Polybutene (carnauba wax?)

Hydrogenated Polyisobuttene

Petrolatum (petroleum jelly)

Ozokerite

Porpylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate

Octyldodecanol

Stearyl Alcohol

Aloe Barbadensis (aloe leaf juice)

Leaf Extract

Peppermint Oil

Menthol Camphor

Allantoin (allantoin powder?)

Vit. E Acetate

Vit. E

Vit. A Palmitate

Vit. C Palmitate

Propylparaben

Butylparaben

Titanium Dioxide

Never made a lip balm, but I've mixed vaseline with coconut oil for a hair treatment at the request of my African American neighbor. It melts down quite nicely.

I believe petroleum products actually dry the skin (although the lubricate quite well and feel good) so things like commercial lip balms actually ARE addictive. Camphor does too, btw.

According to the NIH's Toxnet and Hazardous Substances DataBase:

Polybutene (aka polyisobutene, butylene, etc.) is a polymer that is most often used for: gasoline and lubricating-oil additive; a plasticizer for hot-melt adhesives, sealing tapes, and special sealants; insulator for cable insulation; polymer modifier; viscosity index improvers; induces cling in films and coatings, and...ingredient for skin and hair conditioning cosmetics.

Manufacturers:

Amoco

Exxon

The Lubrizol Corp.

Methods of Manufacturing:

"LOW-TEMPERATURE FRIEDEL-CRAFTS POLYMERIZATION (WITH ALUMINUM CHLORIDE CATALYST) OF DRIED, DESULFURIZED BUTANE/BUTYLENE REFINERY STREAMS OBTAINED FROM CRACKING OPERATIONS."

FDA Requirements:

"Polybutene, hydrogenated is an indirect food additive for use as a component of adhesives."

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+9003-29-6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I guess this stuff makes the balm stick to your lips better?

Gotta love how cosmetic manufacturers find creative uses for some of these chemicals. :rolleyes2

I just used the following recipe for lip balm and it is SOOOO grainy - like there is sand in there! :lipsrseal Does anyone know what in my recipe would make this so grainy?

8g Candelilla Wax

8g Carnauba Wax

4g Sal Butter

12g Avocado Butter

13g Mango Butter

5g White Cocoa Butter

6g Illipe Butter

10g Emu Oil

10g Castor Oil

12g Shea Oil

12g Apricot Kernal

6g Flavor Oil

Look up the melting point for each butter/wax. Take the highest one and then add 5 then slowly/gently heat the balm back up to this temp (if it's 140, heat to 145). Make sure to stir it very well and then take the temp.

If you are adding flavoring or EO's, warm them up first, don't add to the mixture straight from the refridge (hold the container between palms to warm up or leave out on counter for a few days).

Add flavor/EO's.

Pour into containers and allow to slowly cool down. Don't let them cool down to fast. You should be fine.