How do you make....

You can use 1343, 1274, 4045H(only sold at Candlewic), M38. and IGI 1302B ...and I think there's 1 more wax that mottles....(I think most of the straight waxes will mottle, but I'm no expert on those so not sure).

Any of those above will mottle if you use either FO or a mottling oil if you want unscented. I use 3T stearic pp of wax with any mottling wax.

They are great fun. Once you get started you'll have a house full of mottled candles!

DanaE

Thanks all. Writing down the wax types so later on I can play a little, that is if I ever get testing all the other candles I've made. I got the 8 ounce JJ down with my wicking and fo,finally got all those tested, now got to test my chunkies, grubbies and regular pillars. I will know next time to stick to one kind of candle at a time, but every time I see these great candles everyone post, I think I have to try it. But believe me I have learned a great lesson. Don't bite off more than I can chew. :rolleyes2

Oh heck, I bite off more than I can chew all the time! That's the fun of it! I'll be right in the middle of perfecting some type of candle, and then someone will post of a picture of something and I'll think "That looks cool" so I go into my laboratory and try to picture how to make it. Just keep copious notes so you won't have to retest when you have 6 experiments going on at one time :)

The 1st year I made candles was solely for fun. Didn't take any notes, had tons of fun playing with waxes and colors and FO's...I mixed every pillar wax with every container wax, made votives out of straight soy, made pillars that were a mix of 5 or 6 waxes; then realized belatedly that I couldn't recreate some of them because I didn't write down what I did. Glad I didn't start out with the idea of selling or I would have had to recreate all of them again! It was just fun to mix all the waxes and find out what happens. (and yeah, J223 will release from a votive mold if you put it in the freezer - lol) Oh, and WixnWax's FO's seem stronger with you mix OK6228 with KY soy :P

DanaE

Again, to get back on topic, you asked about how to make them. On most of the mottling waxes I've used you don't have to wrap them with a towel or keep them warm in anyway. Just pour around 180 into a warm mold and walk off. It'll mottle all by it's lonesome. The only wax I struggled with was 1343 and I'm sure that's because I didn't understand it as well as other waxes. Couldn't get an even mottle .....perhaps that one needs to be wrapped with a towel to slow down cooling. Oh, and that 1302B was a total pain to work with, but throws one heck of a scent when burning.

Thanks DanaE. Maybe I will play with all the stuff I want to. It's hard not to try different things. I have been crafting for over 20 years and all my family was always telling me I had too many things going at one time, but heck that's what made them fun. Same with candles, I just keep experimenting and believe me I have made some messes, but I go back and try to find a remedy. I have made notes on my containers, now trying to make notes on the others, but I admit, I don't write everything down, but gotta start doing that, cuz my daughter is in this with me and man is she picky picky picky. She doesn't make any candles (yet) but she's keeping up with what I spend and she's even making hand made gift bags, they look great, will have to post some pics of them when she gets the handles made on them.Well I rambled on and got off the subject. Thanks again. :)

To really drag this way off topic, do post pictures of the gift bags your daughter is making. I've had several friends send me homemade gift bags in the last 2 years and they are gorgeous! I keep them all in my closet because there's no way you can throw something like that away. I recently used one to pass onto another friend I thought might enjoy it.

And I have a certain affection for you because you live in Alabama. I lived there most of my life and miss it every single day. No way I'll ever be able to move back, but at least I can go visit a couple of times a year! (lived about 25 miles from Gulf Shores).

DanaE (searching for something to say to bring it back on topic but I'm lost! sorry!)

about where you live now. I'm also in Alabama, a little farther north than Lola, but Gulf Shores is one of my favorite places in the world! I have reservations there in October and am counting the days! I can't imagine living 25 miles from there (I'm about as far away as you can get and still be in the state!)

Jane

DanaE, will post some pics of the gift bags as soon as she gets the handles made for them. There is hardly two alike. I was into scrapbooking awhile back and had lots of thick pretty papers that I didn't use so she has been making them out of those. Think she might have got the crafting bug from me. :smiley2:

I'm like AlaJane I live about as far north in AL as you can get. We live about 10 miles from the TN line. We live on a mountain and I love it in the summer, but in the winter sometimes it can be a mess. 12 years ago in March we were snowed in for 3 days, power was off for about 36 hours, but I am used to the snow as I lived in Northwest Indiana for 10 years when I was growing up and snow is just a regular part of life during the winter. Not that I have anything against Indiana, I wouldn't go back there again. I love living here on this mountain top :smiley2: Guess I'm just a redneck at heart. :D

IGI 1288 seems to make a really nice mottled container candle. (Thats what its designed to do). Throw is excellent. Poured at 180 into heated container. If you overheat this wax it seems to destroy the mottling capability and add air into the wax. (Yes, I screwed one up, thats how I know). Full mottling continues after the wax has set - and will show the next day fully.