Okay, ARGH. Need help from some TX chandlers, I think.

Okay, so I've been pouring 100% soy (EZ Soy) for just over 6 months, and we just moved to TX (San Antonio area) from the Phoenix area. I poured my first batch of candles here yesterday, and I was HORRIFIED this morning to see the results.

First, HUGE wet spots. TONS of frosting, and the tops look like a volcano erupted in it. I've seen people complain about this, but I've never had anything remotely like it in my own candles. What I need is someone who can help me try to figure out which of the factors that have changed is the one that is affecting my candles most (or if they all are!)

First, in Phx, I poured in my house. We kept it at around 80-85 during the day, no humidity. Now, I'm pouring in my office, detached from the house, but with a window unit. However, we don't keep the unit turned on at night, or all day for that matter, so the temp was probably somewhere around 90-95 in there with whatever the humidity is lately.

Next, I poured at about the same temp as usual, between 100-103ish (closer to 100 last night), but the wax was nowhere near as slushy as usual at that temp. It was thickening, and it had a pretty good film on the top, but it wasn't at that grainy-looking stage that I usually aim for.

So, should I go back to pouring in the house? And wait until it's slushy, even if it's cooler than usual? Or are there more factors that I'm missing out on? Any ideas?

Is it the same box sof wax you used in Phoenix?

Or is it a new batch of EZ-Soy.

There have been some issues with the Ez Soy and bad batches. Maybe this is a factor also.. :mad:

Hopefully you will just have to adjust to the new temps and area with the wax and you didn't get a bad batch of soy.:rolleyes2

When it got hot and humid in my area, my EZ soy also acted up and even bubbled until you could not see the wick!! (The heat gun is magic!!:smiley2: ) I just zapped the tops and all is well.

Best of Luck to you!!!:wink2:

I can't be of much help. Only thing that comes off the top of my head, is humidity. It is very humid here in Texas. Could be your pouring temp. Could be the diff. in climate. I can tell you that I could take the exact same things I am making a candle with now, and another person in another part of the country could take the same exact things I am making a candle with, and we are going to come up with 2 different candles. I think HenryK had a thread where he was talking about the humidity and how it was affecting his candles. Sorry can't be of more help.

No, you guys are tons of help! I did some heat gunning this morning (no wonder I was late to church, LOL!) and I can see that I *think* it was the combination of the heat and humidity. Leaving them to cool overnight outside in my office without the a/c running was my mistake, I think.

So, I think for a short-term solution, I'm going to have to pour outside, then carry them inside to cool overnight. Hopefully we can put a small window unit in my office so that I can maintain temp control and not have to shuttle back and forth from out to in.

Thank you so much for your input!

I forgot to add that it *is* a new batch of EZ - I didn't even consider that it could be an issue until you said that. I'll have to do a temp controlled pour/overnight cool inside and see if the wax behaves strangely again. If so, then I may have to be on the hunt for a new wax. :mad:

It's not just EZ soy that has had issues. It is all the soys from GF since they are all the same and are just renamed by the company that is selling it. This is an issue I have with soy and the inconsistencies that go with it. I've had my candles do the same thing and I think its more related to the weather than the wax. The issues we have had with soy have more to do with the being able to wick it with the wick you normally use. Suddenly my wicks were drowning out and I wasn't getting full mp's. Very frustrating. image_209034.gif

• 1 year later...

Hi how is it going in San Antonio. My hubby is in the military and I am not far from San Antonio. I am thinking about making candles and want to use soy. Do you have any advice. I even thought of signing under a company I am trying to see what is my best option.

Okay, so I've been pouring 100% soy (EZ Soy) for just over 6 months, and we just moved to TX (San Antonio area) from the Phoenix area. I poured my first batch of candles here yesterday, and I was HORRIFIED this morning to see the results.

First, HUGE wet spots. TONS of frosting, and the tops look like a volcano erupted in it. I've seen people complain about this, but I've never had anything remotely like it in my own candles. What I need is someone who can help me try to figure out which of the factors that have changed is the one that is affecting my candles most (or if they all are!)

First, in Phx, I poured in my house. We kept it at around 80-85 during the day, no humidity. Now, I'm pouring in my office, detached from the house, but with a window unit. However, we don't keep the unit turned on at night, or all day for that matter, so the temp was probably somewhere around 90-95 in there with whatever the humidity is lately.

Next, I poured at about the same temp as usual, between 100-103ish (closer to 100 last night), but the wax was nowhere near as slushy as usual at that temp. It was thickening, and it had a pretty good film on the top, but it wasn't at that grainy-looking stage that I usually aim for.

So, should I go back to pouring in the house? And wait until it's slushy, even if it's cooler than usual? Or are there more factors that I'm missing out on? Any ideas?

Hey there! I'm in SA too. WAs in Dallas until this year. Used in pour in my house and here I'm set up out in the garage with a window AC unit. I don't use EZ soy but a soy/para blend. Lately the 9 oz hex jars have been getting a little frosting AND more wet spots. The 11 oz status though look really good, thinner glass is probably why. It has been horribly muggy here, so much so I can't use wick stickums and switched to silicone. If you want to keep things in your office, humidy control might help more than temp. I bought a great dehumidifier on Amazon for the house, pour about a gallon out of that thing every day lately. Welcome to SA.

Hi, I am from South of San Antonio, and I am new to candle making. I was curious if there is any local candle suppliers? Shipping is crazy! I have looked into it but it seems as though they are mostly near Dallas and Houston areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ~Kris-10

Hi, I am from South of San Antonio, and I am new to candle making. I was curious if there is any local candle suppliers? Shipping is crazy! I have looked into it but it seems as though they are mostly near Dallas and Houston areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ~Kris-10

I believe theres one in the houston area...

I think it's Houstoncandlesupply.com

I've looked at their site a little bit.. but I really like Green Leaf and Lonestar.