Cocoa Butter won't harden

CareBear

A friend asked me to make her a bar of "just plain cocoa butter" like the ones she buys in the grocery store (it's really a stick - 1 oz/$1.

I said sure, and have been trying to for the past week.

I melt it down, pour it out, and wait.... wait.... wait... 2 days till it look solid. Then I unmold it and ICK - it's kinda layered hard parts and oil - like shale rocks kinda. Icky smooshy oily.

Is it me? Should I be doing something specific? Max temp? Min temp? Hold it at X temp?

Is it my particular cocoa butter/supplier? (also had issues with shea butter from FNWL....)

Or is that just what the stuff is like?

Try melting first.. then pour it and stick it in the freezer. Should set up fine that way..

Tried it. Put it in the freezer for an hour (it was a mini -cupcake size about half and inch thick) and it did set up. Then popped it out, and let it sit till room temp (actually till next day) - still got the same wierd smooshy, grainy, waxy/oily stuff.

i second to this.

is your CCB hard? Mine is hard to the point that I have to use a knife to break away pieces

mine too...mine is hard...i can grate it, cut it with a knife etc... i cant just break off a chunk w/ my hand. when i melt it and then it sets without the freezer...it sets just fine.

Is there a chance you may have mixed another butter with it or placed it in a pot where a butter/oil was that mixed in with it?

I think that there is either a mix in or you need a nother supply of ccb. good luck.

nope, pristine conditions. I'm going to get sample from someone who has stuff they know is good.... so I know what I'm working with.

I tried contacting FNWL but they are apparently very short handed lately. I know they will get back to me in a day or so. I think they are very nice, and usually very responsive.

I used to buy from them a few years ago and HATED their cocoa butter, way too expensive also. Try Olive Tree Soaps here in NY (olivetreesoaps.com) theirs is very nice and pretty much half the price!!

Ah, I wish I'd known about them sooner. My parents live about 20 minutes from Naples, and they are coming down this weekend. But they say they don't have time to shop for me....

:(

I used to buy from them a few years ago and HATED their cocoa butter, way too expensive also. Try Olive Tree Soaps here in NY (olivetreesoaps.com) theirs is very nice and pretty much half the price!!

could it just be the time of year?

I made a cocoa butter/coconut oil thing recently, and couldn't get it to harden at room temp quick enough for my liking. I'd put it in the fridge or freezer, but when I brought it back out into room temp (78*) it would still melt a little. didn't have this problem in February with the same combination