Soy Flakes Experiment

ladysj

I decided to try adding a little GL 70/30 blend to my pure soy flakes to see what kind of results it would get. I substitute 1 ounce of 70/30 blend for the soy flakes. Here is the result of the tops you can't see it very well but it has a nice smooth top no frosting, no sinking. I'm very pleased with the way the tops turned out. I'm test burning one now in a 6 ounce hex scented Flannel Sheets 1 ounce pp wicked with an Eco 6. It's been burning for about 20 minutes now. It has a nice steady flame melt pool is about in 1/8 of an inch it's melting a little lopsided from some reason lol. I've tried getting a good pic of the melt and flame but just can't seem to get one

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/3742/7030soyflakes9qe.jpg

just out of curiosity, why did you add your puresoy to the 70/30? I'm asking because the puresoy is what I have and have had soooo much trouble with, and am just switching over to the 70/30 because I love it so much. I still have approx. 20lbs. of the puresoy left, so that is why I asked. Have you tested yet?

The reason I tried it is because the pure soy flakes that I have are a PITA to get wicked properly and it frosts really bad and never could get a smooth top. I have almost 10 pounds of this left and I thought I would give it a try with the 70/30 blend and see what it does. Yes, I tested the 6 ounce hex yesterday using an Eco 6 with Flannel Sheets fo . I got a nice full melt pool with the first burn. I've not done a second burn yet. Cold throw was great I think I should have let it set a little longer before testing hot throw. So far I am very pleased with the results.

glad to know that there is some use for the puresoy...lmao!! That is the same prob. I have had. The frosting sux!! I think the only ones I will use it with is ones I don't dye. May try to put it in the classifieds. Let me know when you get your finished results. Thx! ;)

I'm on my 3rd test burn now it's burning great I have just a very, very thin line of hang up, the flame is nice and steady no sooting I am very, very pleased with my results on this experiment. So instead of selling the soyflakes I would try this. It also makes your wax go farther.

I am not understanding how much you used....did you use one ounce per lb of 70/30? I am asking because I have almost 40 lbs of the soy flakes I need to get rid of....I didn't like them at all so went searching for a different wax and stumbled upon the 70/30.

Sorry I guess I should have explained a little better. In the 6 ounce hex jar I used 5 ounces of soy flakes and 1 ounce 70/30 blend. My test burner is doing wonderfully. I found that one ounce substitute of 70/30 worked great for me. You can always add a little more of 70/30. I think the fo's may have an affect on the amounts. I poured up Plumeria's last night and the top wasn't quite as smooth as the Flannel Sheets so added just a tad more 70/30. Just kind of play with but substitute at least 1 ounce. HTH

One more question for you if you don't mind...what temp are you heating your wax to and then what temp are you pouring at?

Sorry I guess I should have explained a little better. In the 6 ounce hex jar I used 5 ounces of soy flakes and 1 ounce 70/30 blend. My test burner is doing wonderfully. I found that one ounce substitute of 70/30 worked great for me. You can always add a little more of 70/30. I think the fo's may have an affect on the amounts. I poured up Plumeria's last night and the top wasn't quite as smooth as the Flannel Sheets so added just a tad more 70/30. Just kind of play with but substitute at least 1 ounce. HTH