Shelf Life - wondering?

I know the shelf life of most pre made bases, from most suppliers, is one year(some are less). But I was wondering about something: when I buy lotions, etc..from Bath & Body Works, Victorias Secret, Department Store stuff, etc... those bottles, tubes, jars of lotions last FOREVER! I must have B&BW & VS stuff from two years ago(maybe longer!!! especially the body splashes) that I still use & are still fine. So do you think their bases have different components in them to make them last longer? or: ?

I'm still not going to go past the year, (actually about the 6 month mark, assuming people will use the product for about 6 months), because I'm far too fearful of having a product rot/turn on someone!

What do you-all think?

I know the shelf life of most pre made bases, from most suppliers, is one year(some are less). But I was wondering about something: when I buy lotions, etc..from Bath & Body Works, Victorias Secret, Department Store stuff, etc... those bottles, tubes, jars of lotions last FOREVER! I must have B&BW & VS stuff from two years ago(maybe longer!!! especially the body splashes) that I still use & are still fine. So do you think their bases have different components in them to make them last longer? or: ?

I'm still not going to go past the year, (actually about the 6 month mark, assuming people will use the product for about 6 months), because I'm far too fearful of having a product rot/turn on someone!

What do you-all think?

I think those companies put a lot of chemicals in their body products to extend the life.

You could investigate the ingredients listed to find out what makes the product last so long but I personally would not put in my products.

I feel like a good preservative is all you need (one that will keep your products 6 months to a year) I am very passionate about skincare products and ingredients and I believe those big companies really don't care about the well being and health of the skin. All they care about is a good smelling products, how long the scent last and how much they sale. The products that crafter such as us make are far more superior, more nourishing and are much, much better for your skin. I will end by saying investigate the ingredients on their bottles. You will see a bunch of chemicals and check out the ingredients on a crafters bottle you will find much better ingredints. I won't say how I really feel about their products :mad: but they sure do smell good. :smiley2:

You are probably right! I probably won't even be able to identify some of the ingredients listed! But it is so true & you are so right: NONE of those products feel as good on the skin as the stuff the handcrafter population makes. I guess I was wondering the obvious, huh?;)

I agree that as a handcrafter, I am concerned primarily with ingredients that benefit the skin. Commercial manufacturers have to be much more concerned with extensive shelf life.

Also, just as a side note ... we really don't know for sure if those 2-3 year old bottles of lotion *are* still OK. There are plenty of nasties that can't be seen by the naked eye. :)