HELP!! Very Weak First Burn...I THINK I FOUND MY ANSWER LOL!!!

I am using 75% paraffin and 25% soy blend. I use 16 and 26 oz apothecary jars. I am wicking them with (2) 44-32-18 zincs. I use approximately 6-9% f/o depending on the oil. I am waiting a minimum of 48 hours to burn. I only use good suppliers like Peaks, NG, BCS etc. My cold throw kicks butt. My hot throw is the problem on the first burn. Can anyone tell me why my candles smell awesome, but on the first burn they can only be smelled when you are close to them? Subsequent burns give a good to great hot throw. Am I doing something wrong? What do I tell my testers that think I have a weak thrower from the first burn? What can I do to improve the throw on the first burn? Thanks for any suggestions.

Teri

I only use one wick for the 16 ounce apothecary jar. I use a 51 or 60 zinc depending on the fo.

I wanted to add that I am not an expert or even close at the apoth. jars since I am just starting them myself, but I can say that I dont think you need to double wick them, JMO

Pam

Yes.. thanks.. The diameter is 3.5 inches across. I added f/o at 180 degrees, and the candles burned for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I have a 1/4 inch burn after 2 hours. I have to stress that all my candles seem to throw much better on following burns. Thanks for answering my post.. I really am trying to figure this one out.. I appreciate the help!

Teri

I don't use paraffin so I'm not sure how much help this will be, but it sounds almost like your FO is settling below that quarter inch mark as the candle cures.

Unless of course, paraffin is supposed to have a full melt pool in .5 x jar diameter? If that's not the case I'd say your wick is burning the FO off somehow on the first burn but not on subsequent burns.

Not sure why on that, though, unless it has something to do with the cooler burning of zinc wicks.

How tall is the wick on burn #1?

I use 223 75% and 25% soy. I use 11 oz tureens (they are about the same diameter as yours) and I double wick with 44-32's. I get a good cold and hot throw, even on 1st burn. I add about 9% FO and I do use several FO's from BCS. What BCS FOs are you using? Some are stronger than others. I add FO at 180 to 190 and pour at 160-170. If they are throwing on 2nd burn, maybe they are weak oils and it takes a while for them to get going.

Have you tried to use bigger wicks? When using soy most people find they have to wick up until you find the right size. You may have to test a few times until you find the right ones. You might want to get the next 2 sizes up and pour 2 testers and see if you get a better melt pool and scent throw. HTH ;)

I am using 75% paraffin and 25% soy blend. I use 16 and 26 oz apothecary jars. I am wicking them with (2) 44-32-18 zincs. I use approximately 6-9% f/o depending on the oil. I am waiting a minimum of 48 hours to burn. I only use good suppliers like Peaks, NG, BCS etc. My cold throw kicks butt. My hot throw is the problem on the first burn. Can anyone tell me why my candles smell awesome, but on the first burn they can only be smelled when you are close to them? Subsequent burns give a good to great hot throw. Am I doing something wrong? What do I tell my testers that think I have a weak thrower from the first burn? What can I do to improve the throw on the first burn? Thanks for any suggestions.

Teri

Ok I'm not going to be of any help but I have the same thing happen to me. I don't get a great throw on 2nd burn but it is slightly better than the 1st. I feel like pulling my hair out as well sometimes. The worst part is I've made all these candles that don't have much hot throw (cold throw is great) and now I have them all over the place trying to burn them down with a toddler learning how to walk. So I feel your pain! LOL

I use 223 75% and 25% soy. I use 11 oz tureens (they are about the same diameter as yours) and I double wick with 44-32's. I get a good cold and hot throw, even on 1st burn. I add about 9% FO and I do use several FO's from BCS. What BCS FOs are you using? Some are stronger than others. I add FO at 180 to 190 and pour at 160-170. If they are throwing on 2nd burn, maybe they are weak oils and it takes a while for them to get going.

I am happy to hear that you have the same mix as I do.. I am new with adding the soy.. I love the soy, so I am willing to do whatever to make this work.. the cleanliness is amazing.. In response to another post.. I am certain that I don't need to wick up. I would have a huge melt pool. I have only wicked up for my spicer scents, and some of the heavier oils. I will say this.. I keep burning one of my candles and it is filling the entire house up with every burn now. Go figure.. I really appreciate everyones help. This has been maddening! I am going to be a bit more methodical with my temps and mix the oil with wax a bit longer before I pour. Maybe I am not letting it bond long enough so that it is thoroughly mixed when I pour. This is the only thing I can think might be the problem.. Eveyone else I know that uses this mix is very happy with it. Thanks bugtussle for your insight. I am close.. I thank everyone for their response!

Teri

Alright.. I hope my foolishness will help someone else! I forgot to mention that I store my oils in the fridge.. Wouldn't that increase the specific gravity of the oil? I have been warming my measuring cup so that this will warm up the oil, but I am thinking it is far from room temp which would cause it to sink in the wax mixture? Just a thought... If this is the case.. no wonder all my candles start to ROCK the more I burn them!!!! What a knucklehead I am!!:rolleyes2

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright.. I hope my foolishness will help someone else! I forgot to mention that I store my oils in the fridge.. Wouldn't that increase the specific gravity of the oil? I have been warming my measuring cup so that this will warm up the oil, but I am thinking it is far from room temp which would cause it to sink in the wax mixture? Just a thought... If this is the case.. no wonder all my candles start to ROCK the more I burn them!!!! What a knucklehead I am!!:rolleyes2

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL :laugh2: I don't store mine in the fridge but it sounds like something I would do! I make silly mistakes like that sometimes! But hey, at least you found the problem!