Drying Bath Bombs

CareBear

OK, no matter how dry I make my bombs, when I set them down to dry they flatten out. Just a tiny bit, mind you, but I hate seeing that little flat spot.

Right now I'm trying setting them into a pile of cornstarch to see how that goes. You know, to support the bomb. (cornstarch didnt work - got too caked up and hard to brush off anyway; trying cornmeal with the next batch)

Any other suggestions?

BTW, I know it's not the humidity - can you believe it is 80 degrees and ONLY 55% HUMIDITY?!? LOVE it!

Carol

OK, no matter how dry I make my bombs, when I set them down to dry they flatten out. Just a tiny bit, mind you, but I hate seeing that little flat spot.

Right now I'm trying setting them into a pile of cornstarch to see how that goes. You know, to support the bomb.

Any other suggestions?

BTW, I know it's not the humidity - can you believe it is 80 degrees and ONLY 55% HUMIDITY?!? LOVE it!

Carol

sounds like you have too much liquid/oils in your bombs.

that's just it, it is basically none. In 1.5 cups of baking soda + 1 cup citric acid I put 2 tsp castor oil, a few drops of coloring (water soluble) and two little half-spritzes of alcohol. The mixture was so dry I barely could get it to stick together.

It's the castor oil, it's too heavy. Try sweet almond oil or a lighter oil in place of it. I tried the turkey red oil last week and the same thing happened to me. I went back to my sweet almond oil and mango butter mix and they aren't getting flat anymore.

Just today (for the first time) I put my bombs to egg cartons for drying. I think they should keep their shape. Although I havent had the problem on flat surface either, I just turned to cartons so I can store them away more easily. But you still could try the egg carton thing, maybe it works for you also.

Best,

Eva

To edit - it of cource depends on how big your bombs are, mine are quite small so they fit into egg cartons perfectly.

Just today (for the first time) I put my bombs to egg cartons for drying. I think they should keep their shape. Although I havent had the problem on flat surface either, I just turned to cartons so I can store them away more easily. But you still could try the egg carton thing, maybe it works for you also.

Best,

Eva

To edit - it of cource depends on how big your bombs are, mine are quite small so they fit into egg cartons perfectly.

What an awsome idea..never would have thought of that.