calling all PA residence

I live in PA and Im alittle comfused as to what all needs done to operate business in this state. I have gone to some sites and tried to make sence of what I was reading but was wondering if someone could tell me in plain english what needs done before I start selling..

this is what I know and have

I have a Federal ID #

I know that I need to file a DBA

I know that I need to fill out a PA 100 but have no clue what this is for .

I am having a hard time finding information online about getting a business license.

I need to get a ID # for Pa as well right.

I am a sole pr.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys.

a basic 123 step would be great. such as do this this and this and I can take it from there.

Your sales tax id is your business license unless your town requires it. I required a license at my new location, but didn't in the old one. Basically your Dba and sales Tax id is all you need. Call you local twp or city office to find out if you require anything else, mainly that is only required if the general public may be coming into your place of business on aregular basis, like business hours. That's about it.

PA100 form, you'll be registering a business name & obtaining sales tax license number.

There's an a link on PA-100 site where you can pay your quarterly tax online. I do that. The timetable to the feds, IRS depends on your income & the amount of money coming in. Ask a CPA to advise you on that. My cpa is pretty smart about home business tax advantages & record keeping. Money well spent for peace of mind & to get off to a good start.

btw You need to check locally to make sure you're zoning compliant. If not, you'll have to petition for a variance. Don't forget to register your business name locally & pay your local tax on income too.

hth :)

btw You need to check locally to make sure you're zoning compliant. If not, you'll have to petition for a variance. Don't forget to register your business name locally & pay your local tax on income too.

Oooooo had not thought about that one...I am trying to think of where I would go to register my business...my guess would be city hall. Would that also be the place for the zoning compliant thing? Do I have to wait for my Tax ID number or just show them the application I filed online and the form for the fictious name search that was faxed into them?

faith, Make a few calls & ask for the zoning commissioner, person in charge of zoning. You'll also have to find out if you have to register your business locally as well as at the state & federal level.

What was necessary for me may not be necessary for you &/or it could be more involved. I can only speak to what I had to do. Ask a local business owner for the best local advice on setting up a business.

The good news ~ it's really not complicated. You just have to do a little legwork & ask a lot of questions.

hth :)