Bath bomb help - warts AND cracks...

CareBear

Hi all, could use some help. Attached are some pics of my first 2 forays into bath bombs. OK, NOT ATTACHED, COULDN'T GET MY PIC SIZES SMALL ENOUGH - ANOTHER THING I'M GOING TO HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DO LOL

The teal one cracked, which I thought was generally due to drying too fast. But since the humidity that day was around 99% it doesn't make sense to me that it could. And the little "buttons" I made with the same batch didn't crack. These are basically citric acid, baking soda, corn starch, sunflower oil, FO, color and a tiny bit of water. They do fizz like the dickens in the bath!

The purple one is an enigma too - I got warts AND cracks - and that was a LOW humidity day. Maybe the warts are from not mixing well??? And the "button one I made with my 1T measuring spoon warted up BIG time. These had no water in the recipe (beyond the coloring) - just citric acid, baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil (76).

Is it my recipes, do you think? My mixing (but no water in the purple one cept like 8 drops of coloring)? The atmosphere? Should I move to the desert or the coast??? And how come the different sizes have dramatically different end results?

Boggles my mind :cry2:

Carol

Hi all, could use some help. Attached are some pics of my first 2 forays into bath bombs.

The teal one cracked, which I thought was generally due to drying too fast. But since the humidity that day was around 99% it doesn't make sense to me that it could. And the little "buttons" I made with the same batch didn't crack. These are basically citric acid, baking soda, corn starch, sunflower oil, FO, color and a tiny bit of water. They do fizz like the dickens in the bath!

The purple one is an enigma too - I got warts AND cracks - and that was a LOW humidity day. Maybe the warts are from not mixing well??? And the "button one I made with my 1T measuring spoon warted up BIG time. These had no water in the recipe (beyond the coloring) - just citric acid, baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil (76).

Is it my recipes, do you think? My mixing (but no water in the purple one cept like 8 drops of coloring)? The atmosphere? Should I move to the desert or the coast??? And how come the different sizes have dramatically different end results?

Boggles my mind :cry2:

Carol

I didn't see any attachment for pics :sad2:

If you get warts generally there is too much moisture....are you adding your liquid directly into your mix ( bowl) ??? I dont use water I use WH and a spray bottle...I feel everything to the touch. Make sure it doesn't feel wet...It should be almost dry mix yet able to stay together when pressed. Also not sure how much oil your using...just make sure for the most part its a dry miz....just enought to hold together when placed in a mold after you squeeze tight.

As soon as I get a whisk attachment for my kitchen aid I'll try again I think. And swapping for WH seems like a good idea.

In a way the warts add character...

just an fyi...i dont wisk my bomb mix...its all by touch so i get the right feeling.