Wicking woes-Mushrooms,Trimming/not Trimming wick

Hi all,

Okay I am in a crisis mode here, lol

I got a bunch of new jars and I am using my normal soy blend with HTP and Cotton wicks. Problem is, no matter what wick I use - it seems too big, so, I naturally wick down. Well, when I wick down, if the wick does well - full MP in correct amt. of time - whenever I burn the candles again and trim the wick - I don't achieve the full MP! :P THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I wick back up, put up with the too soon full MP, trim the wicks with the consecutive burns, and all seems fine.

So, do I keep the original wick that got the full MP in an hour or less (:shocked2: ) on a 2.5 diameter jar so the subsequent burns burn properly?? If I DON'T trim my wick - it burns perfectly! I always test two ways, I test burn the 'right' way (trimming wicks, etc.) and I test burn the 'wrong' way - power burns with no trimming. We all know there are customers who do both and I want to be certain my wicking/jars can take the 'wrong' burn. lol :wink2: Or, do I wick down, and the subsequent burns do not achieve the full MP?????? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! :( I may toss this jar and not use it. lol :cool2: But, even if I don't carry this jar, I STILL want to know WHY this is happening and what can be done about it.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

I know this post is making no sense here. I am sorry. ;) I am trying to figure out WHY my wicking is all messed up. :(

Thanks,

IMO wicking up a little is better than having a candle drown out or not reach a FMP. I don't want to worry about my candles tunneling or not reaching a FMP because customers do not burn them for the correct length of time. So I wick up a little.

(I just make sure when I wick up that my jar does not get to hot)

I have candles that achieve a FMP in an hour or so, for 2.5 diameter on the first burn. And as you said I trim the wick on consecutive burns and all is fine.

I like that the fact that I get a good melt pool and a great scent throw immediately.

I think sometimes people wick down to much and it takes forever for their candles to get a FMP, and the MP is so small that is does not give off much of a hot throw..(IMO)

Keep testing and do what works best for you...

I agree with Island Girl. Kudos to you for testing both ways, but honestly, you can't account for every variable once the product gets into the customer's hands. Some never trim; some power burn. You can wick correctly but they extinguish it before achieving a fmp, so it tunnels. KWIM? You just can't cover EVERY possibility. So do the best you can and settle for that. :wink2:

Happy candlemaking!

IMO to properly test a wick, you really need to burn the candle all the way down. Especially when it comes to soy. Soy tends to burn down and then out so it may seem like your candle is going to tunnel but in the long run, that hangup will catch up. The most important burn is always the first burn or two to set that candles memory. I do know though that there are times that you can tell right away that your candle does not have the correct wick. You will especially get hang up with HTPs (or any self trimming wick) but if properly wicked, it should catch up. I personally don't care for HTPs in a shorter jar because of the curl which causes the hangup and the fact that customers don't always burn a candle correctly. I too would rather overwick as long as the jar doesn't get too hot. Customes want to smell your candle right away and can get frustrated if they can't smell it fast enough. Plus, if they don't burn it long enoght for a smaller wick to get that mp for a good throw, they may not buy from you again. Soy can be very frustrating but I can't imagine working with any other wax. I just love my soy.

Keep at it and you are sure to get it. Perserverance does pay off. ;)