Why NOT to get the phone when soap is at trace...Pics included

michelleB

Well, I was proceeding merrily along last night, with my batch of Strawberry soap that I was wanting to swirl with a little bit of pink/red. Soap was at thin-med trace and I took about 1 1/2 cups out to color. Medium trace was close at hand so I was trying to hurry so I could get it in the mold...BUT...the phone rang at that moment. I had NO choice but to get it because everybody else was outside and I knew it was my son, who was supposed to call when he was ready to be picked up from a shin-dig he'd went to. So I get it. I kept telling him "Ok, ok, I'll leave in a minute to get ya, but I've gotta go right now and finish my soap". Needless to say, the soap in the bowls was NOT waiting on me and it was practically setting up before my eyes. UGH! So I glopped and banged to get it in the mold, then beat the mold on my floor several times to try & get rid of air bubbles. It was a nightmare!

Here's what I just now cut into (with a LOT of disappointment) As you can see, I didn't get swirls. The globs of pink soap (which didn't even get mixed good) acted more like embeds and I couldn't swirl them to save my life!:

[ATTACH]6389[/ATTACH]

And the AIR HOLES...my gosh! This batch is gonna have to be for personal use only, for sure!

[ATTACH]6390[/ATTACH]

Don't try this at home! LOL

post-1817-139458400928_thumb.jpg

post-1817-139458400932_thumb.jpg

OH NO Michelle :cry2: Sorry to hear about that!

Have you tried rebatching yet?? I need too on 4 batches I've made. Just one of those things I've put off because I don't know how :rolleyes2.

BTW how's the Coffee Bar coming? (I need to get at it still and decide on a recipe).

Ya know, the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking I WILL rebatch it. I'm not much on rebatching though, so I'm not sure if I'd help it or make it worse, LOLOL. Might just go for a totally colored bar though, instead of the swirl. Another thing I noticed though is how much darker the "main" part of the soap turned out compared to usual. I finally dipped into my Agbanga Karite Shea for this soap (instead of the other shea I'd been using) and it's a lot darker to begin with, so I'm thinking that did it. I used the shea at 11% in this recipe, plus put oodles of silk fibers in it. Mmmmmm!

I dunno, I'll think more on the rebatch. If I do it though, it'll be tonight. If I'm gonna do a rebatch, I've found it easier to do em when the soap is fresh.

And as for the coffee soap, I need to get that batch in the pot & get started! I finally decided on the recipe, and got everything here I needed for it, but I played with it first (made a whipped butter out of it) and didn't get around to soapin it. That stuff is so heavenly! I swear, I just can't AFFORD all these new addictions!! :shocked2: